Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Could you please explain if "the East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere" is a euphemism?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.
Jiang

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear teachers,

Could you please explain if "the East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere" is a euphemism?

Thank you in advance.
Jiang

Is there CONTEXT?

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi freezeframe,

I was reading an article discussing euphemism. It cited many examples and one of them is "the East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere". According to the author's explanation Japan used it to cover its intension to occupy China. But I don't think this is a euphemism. That's why I asked the question.
Could you please explain to me if it is a euphemism?

Thank you in advance.
Jiang
Is there CONTEXT?

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Raymott,

I was reading an article discussing euphemism. It cited many examples and one of them is "the East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere". According to the author's explanation Japan used it to cover its intension to occupy China. But I don't think this is a euphemism. That's why I asked the question.

Thank you in advance.
Jiang

Do you mean this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere

Why do you think it might be a euphemism?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi freezeframe,

Thank you in advance.
Jiang

A euphemism is something that one uses to cover up the real thing, which is unpleasant or controversial. So, yes it can be a euphemism according to some perspectives/points of view. In this case, it's a political view.

Depending on one's perspective, many things can be seen as euphemisms but they're not considered to be such by the society as a whole. This most often comes out in political discussions.

I hope this is clear enough.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear freezeframe,

The author also writes "the root pheme means 'speech' or 'saying' ". But I can't find it in my dictionaries.

Could you please kindly explain if there is such a root in English?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

A euphemism is something that one uses to cover up the real thing, which is unpleasant or controversial. So, yes it can be a euphemism according to some perspectives/points of view. In this case, it's a political view.

Depending on one's perspective, many things can be seen as euphemisms but they're not considered to be such by the society as a whole. This most often comes out in political discussions.

I hope this is clear enough.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If you look in a dictionary, some will tell you the origin of the word.

Euphemism | Define Euphemism at Dictionary.com

Origin:
1650–60; < Greek euphēmismós the use of words of good omen, equivalent to eu- eu- + phḗm ( ē ) speaking, fame + -ismos -ism

There is no such root in English. This word is Greek.

Generally speaking, there are very few roots and affixes in English that are worth learning, unlike in some other languages. So unless you're specifically interested in etymology, I wouldn't worry about it.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi freeframe,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand it now.
I think the website broke down the other day because I could not reply.

Jiang
If you look in a dictionary, some will tell you the origin of the word.

Euphemism | Define Euphemism at Dictionary.com

There is no such root in English. This word is Greek.

Generally speaking, there are very few roots and affixes in English that are worth learning, unlike in some other languages. So unless you're specifically interested in etymology, I wouldn't worry about it.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Jiang

Yes, I had a similar problem on the site and had to contact Red5 through an external route. He has confirmed that the problem has been fixed.

Best regards
R21

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear freezeframe,

The author also writes "the root pheme means 'speech' or 'saying' ". But I can't find it in my dictionaries.

Could you please kindly explain if there is such a root in English?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Your author is not at odds with the dictionary FF cited:
< Greek euphēmismós the use of words of good omen, equivalent to eu- eu- + phḗm ( ē ) speaking, fame + -ismos -ism

Greek did have a word ɸημη (which your author transliterates as pheme), and this - or a related word - was the root of 'euphēmismós'.
But as FF says, you've no need to worry about it.

Etymological musing: there is a saying about 'not speaking ill of the dead'. The opposite of that would be speaking well of the dead [eu + phem + ism]. And, appropriately enough, there are many euphemisms in this area: dead people have passed on, departed this mortal coil, gone to a better place...

b

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Etymological musing: there is a saying about 'not speaking ill of the dead'. The opposite of that would be speaking well of the dead [eu + phem + ism]. And, appropriately enough, there are many euphemisms in this area: dead people have passed on, departed this mortal coil, gone to a better place...

b

It's not pining! It's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet his maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Monty Python -- The parrot sketch.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me it's definitely a euphemism hiding the nature and extent of the Japanese Empire during and before the Second World War.

Status
Not open for further replies.