Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

first, this may be considered more of a 'technical' question than an English question. If so, please excuse me and feel free to move/delete this post.

I heard the word/phrase 'BOLO' in a TV serial called 'The Mentalist' (Season 2, Episode 17). Someone says - 'We've got a bolo out on him.'

I found that 'BOLO' stands for 'be on the lookout', which according to Wikipedia is the same as APB (all points bulletin). Are both these terms used only in the US or also in the UK, Canada, and Australia as well?

Interestingly, on the Police and Law Enforcement Forum, there seems to be disagreement/confusion about the 'appropriateness' of using these, as well as some interesting information and other similar abbreviations.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

first, this may be considered more of a 'technical' question than an English question. If so, please excuse me and feel free to move/delete this post.

I heard the word/phrase 'BOLO' in a TV serial called 'The Mentalist' (Season 2, Episode 17). Someone says - 'We've got a bolo out on him.'

I found that 'BOLO' stands for 'be on the lookout', which according to Wikipedia is the same as APB (all points bulletin). Are both these terms used only in the US or also in the UK, Canada, and Australia as well?

Interestingly, on the Police and Law Enforcement Forum, there seems to be disagreement/confusion about the 'appropriateness' of using these, as well as some interesting information and other similar abbreviations.

Thanks
I've never heard either in the UK.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
APB is well known here. BOLO, not so much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Strictly speaking, I have, but only in US TV imports.

b
I never watch US TV imports. I watch only BBC 1, 2 and 4.;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard either except on TV shows.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've never heard the term "Bolo" either. Sounds like bollocks to me. I have heard APB though, which I think means "all points bulletin."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
BOLO is indeed Be on the LookOut for.

"We've put out a BOLO on..."

When you say it sounds like bollocks are you referring to the actual sound or are you doubting its use? If the latter, doubt no more. If the former, well, bollocks is a word I never, ever use except in reference to a Sex Pistols album.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
BOLO and APB basically mean the same thing, it just depends upon the agency reporting. For example, in St. Louis it might be standard police procedure to use the BOLO code ("be on the lookout") while in Miami the standard code is APB ("all points bulletin"). Likewise some jurisdictions use ATL ("attempt to locate") to mean the same thing. Other areas eschew acronyms and still rely on 10- codes (like "10-4" and "10-7").

Status
Not open for further replies.