• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question cum

Dear all;
    I wanna know whether cum is a formal preposition , I mean can we use it in each kind of composition & text?and If it is common would ya plz tell me the usages of this preposition ?

Best wishes

Re: cum

Quote Originally Posted by 1364
    Dear all;
    I wanna know whether cum is a formal preposition , I mean can we use it in each kind of composition & text?and If it is common would ya plz tell me the usages of this preposition ?

Best wishes
    It is a preposition used only in very formal writing (legal and medical, I think) but at the same time it's a vulgar term for semen. I think I would definitely avoid that one in your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    It is a preposition used only in very formal writing (legal and medical, I think) but at the same time it's a vulgar term for semen. I think I would definitely avoid that one in your homework.
    In India I have seen the word used where something/someone provides multiple functions.
    For example: "sofa-cum-bed" - It can be a sofa by the day and a bed by the night.
    "driver-cum-cook" - a person who provides the function of a driver as well as a cook.

I am not sure about the hyphens. It might have been "sofa cum bed". sorry i don't remember now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question Re: cum

Thank you;
    for the first time that I face this preposition it sound too odd to me because I havnt seen it before & dont know the usage .im not sure but as you say it means as well as am I right?

B regards

>im not sure but as you say it means as well as am I right?

Yes, you are right.

In the US you often hear that someone graduated "summa-cum-laude".
    It means "with highest praise:".

summa - highest
    cum -with
    laude - praise

Do you recognize English words with ''laud" in them?
    For example:
    laud, lauds, lauded
    laudatory (acc to dictionary.com - Expressing or conferring praise: a laudatory review of the new play)
    laudable