Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please check out the follwing wentences.

(1) The probability of winning the grand prix is one hundred million.
(2) Its goal is to encourage people to demand / ask for an invoice.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please check out the following sentences.

(1) The probability of winning the grand prix is one hundred million. One hundred million to what? What do you mean by "grand prix"?
(2) Its goal is to encourage people to demand / ask for an invoice. Both are OK, "demand" is much stronger that "ask for".
Bhai.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(1) The probability of hitting the jackpot is one hundred million to one (1/100,000,000) .

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Here are some extended sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

(1) The probability of hitting the jackpot is one hundred million to one.
(2) Its goal is to encourage people to ask for an invoice.

(3) For one thing, it can draw a prize; for another, it can prevent the shop owner from evading taxation.
(4) Invoice is one of the major income of charity causes.
(5) Somebody worries that it will lower the will to donate the invoice to charity groups.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Here are some extended sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

(1) The probability of hitting the jackpot is one hundred million to one.
(2) Its goal is to encourage people to ask for an invoice.

(3) For one thing, it can draw a prize; for another, it can prevent the shop owner from evading taxation.
(4) Invoice is one of the major income of charity causes.
(5) Somebody worries that it will lower the will to donate the invoice to charity groups.
You are not using the word "invoice" correctly.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(1) In my country, Taiwan, when you buy something at a store, the clerk will usually give you an invoice as a receipt. Generally, the official authorities will draw the winning numbers of invoice every two months. The winner, who hit the jackpot, could get the bonus NT$ 2,000,000 (about US$ 65,000) two years ago. And the probability is next to nothing. Besides, there were rare small prizes. Therefore, some people were used to donating their invoices to the charity causes as a virtuous practice. If the charity groups were lucky enough, they might have the probability to win the jackpot or other small bonus prizes. However, since two years ago, in order to encourage people to ask for an invoice after they buy something at a store, the official authorties have raised the cash amount of jackpot to NT$ 10,000,000 (about US$ 335,000) and added the probability of small prizes. Consequently, people are now unwilling to donate their invoices to charity groups. Instead, they would rather keep their invoices in the hope of hitting the jackpot or winning other small prizes.

(2) As you mentioned that I am not correctly using the word 'invoice', I can't figure out what word is fit in the sentence. So I try to explain you the case.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
(1) In my country, Taiwan, when you buy something at a store, the clerk will usually give you an invoice as a receipt. Generally, the official authorities will draw the winning numbers of invoice every two months. The winner, who hit the jackpot, could get the bonus NT$ 2,000,000 (about US$ 65,000) two years ago. And the probability is next to nothing. Besides, there were rare small prizes. Therefore, some people were used to donating their invoices to the charity causes as a virtuous practice. If the charity groups were lucky enough, they might have the probability to win the jackpot or other small bonus prizes. However, since two years ago, in order to encourage people to ask for an invoice after they buy something at a store, the official authorties have raised the cash amount of jackpot to NT$ 10,000,000 (about US$ 335,000) and added the probability of small prizes. Consequently, people are now unwilling to donate their invoices to charity groups. Instead, they would rather keep their invoices in the hope of hitting the jackpot or winning other small prizes.

(2) As you mentioned that I am not correctly using the word 'invoice', I can't figure out what word is fit in the sentence. So I try to explain you the case.
OK. If I understand correctly, "invoice" is used as the name for the prize because the numbers for the draw are on invoices. If that's the case, you can use the word in your sentences. A few changes are necessary, however:

(2) Its goal is to encourage people to ask for invoices.
(3) For one thing, they can win prizes; for another, this could prevent the shop owner from evading taxation.
(4) Invoices are one of the major sources of income for charitable causes.
(5) Some people worry that it will lower the will to donate invoices to charity groups.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try reading receipts for invoices.

Rover

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(1) The probability of hitting the jackpot is one hundred million to one (1/100,000,000) .

Not a teacher.

Probability is expressed as a ratio (or decimal) between 0 and 1.

Odds refers to the ratio of the probability an event will occur to the probability that event will not occur.

Thus, if the probability of hitting the jackpot is 1/100,000,000 the odds of hitting the jackpot are not 100,000,000 to 1.

The odds of hitting the jackpot are:

(1/100,000,000) to (99,999,999/100,000,000) = 1 to 99,999,999

The odds against hitting the jackpot are 99,999,999 to 1. (That is, there are 99,999,999 was not to hit the jackpot compared to 1 way to hit it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.