• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The center of the universe

Hi,

I want to know whether the sentence below has any grammar mistake specially the bold part:

One is, metaphysically, like every human being and every other life form, the center of the universe, that we carry it piercing through the space in time, that is home.

Can I use the ontologically instead of metaphysically above - does it still make sense to you?

One is, ontologically, like every human being and every other life form, the center of the universe, that we carry it piercing through the space in time, that is home.

Thanks.
    Last edited by iamtime; 17-May-2011 at 15:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: The center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    One is, metaphysically, like every human being and every other life form, the center of the universe, that we carry it piercing through the space in time, that is home.
    There is no mistake in the grammar of the words in bold. However, I have no idea of what the words I have underlined mean. There are several grammar mistakes in those words, but it is difficult to say how corrections can be made when I do not know what you intended to say.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    There is no mistake in the grammar of the words in bold. However, I have no idea of what the words I have underlined mean. There are several grammar mistakes in those words, but it is difficult to say how corrections can be made when I do not know what you intended to say.
    Thanks for pointing it out, fivejedjon.

I think I am making a mistake by combining a few ideas into one sentence.

I am trying to say a few things:

1. We are the center of universe (it is an illusion that we are used to the belief that we are - we are not the center of the universe in scientific evidence). Hence I use the word - metaphysically or ontological or maybe these two choices of word are wrong.

2. Home is the center of the universe (I think it should mean the same if I reverse this sentence to - the center of universe is a home). Hence I say - the center of the universe,..., that is home.

3. Space is an object as in Einstein's spacetime that warps in Time (so Time is a bigger object/ container). Hence I say - space in time

4. So each of us - the smaller object, carries our own centers (homes) to pierce (or warp) through the Space. Hence I say -we carry it piercing through the space in time

Let me know if this is still not clear enough.

Thanks.
    Last edited by iamtime; 17-May-2011 at 21:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thanks for pointing it out, fivejedjon.

I think I am making a mistake by combining a few ideas into one sentence.

I am trying to say two things:

1. We are the center of universe (it is an illusion that we are used to the belief that we are - we are not the center of the universe in scientific evidence). Hence I use the word - metaphysically or ontological or maybe these two choices of word are wrong.

2. Home is the center of the universe (I think it should mean the same if I reverse this sentence to - the center of universe is a home). Hence I say - the center of the universe,..., that is home.

3. Space is an object as in Einstein's spacetime that warps in Time (so Time is a bigger object/ container). Hence I say - space in time

4. So each of us - the smaller object, carries our own centers (homes) to pierce (or warp) through the Space. Hence I say -we carry it piercing through the space in time

Let me know if this is still not clear enough.

Thanks.
    One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe, so that we carry our homes through space and time.

One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe. This is our home that we carry through space and time.

One is, metaphysically, like every human being and every other life form, the center of the universe. Thus, we carry our homes piercing space and time.

1. I don't much like "piercing", but it's your sentence.
    2. We don't say "the space" any more than we say "the time" when we are talking about the general concepts of space and time.

Last edited by Raymott; 17-May-2011 at 20:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe, so that we carry our homes through space and time.

One is, metaphysically, like every human being and every other life form, the center of the universe. Thus, we carry our homes piercing space and time.

1. I don't much like "piercing", but it's your sentence.
    2. We don't say "the space" any more than we say "the time" when we are talking about the general concepts of space and time.

Thank you Raymott. I like the first one.

Do I need to explain the center of the universe is home first before I say - we carry our homes?

One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe - home, so that we carry our homes through space and time.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you Raymott, I think this is the one I am looking for,

One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe. This is our home that we carry through space and time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Raymott is far more perceptive than I. His suggestions made sense of what I could not understand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Raymott is far more perceptive than I. His suggestions made sense of what I could not understand.
    Not really. I had the benefit of iamtime's clarifying post before I replied.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank you Raymott. I like the first one.

Do I need to explain the center of the universe is home first before I say - we carry our homes?

One is, metaphysically, like every other human being and every other life form, the center of the universe - home, so that we carry our homes through space and time.

Thanks.
    You could. I'm not sure it's necessary. How easily a reader understands this sentence would depend to some extent on the surrounding material.
    It's true that you haven't justified the equation: one = centre of the universe = one's home. Your sentence merely assumes that one is one's home, which is far from obvious.
    One can be in/at the ever-moving centre of the universe, thus making the centre of the universe one's home. But you are saying that one is the centre of the universe, thus making oneself one's own home.
    How logical do you want to be?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You could. I'm not sure it's necessary. How easily a reader understands this sentence would depend to some extent on the surrounding material.
    It's true that you haven't justified the equation: one = centre of the universe = one's home. Your sentence merely assumes that one is one's home, which is far from obvious.
    One can be in/at the ever-moving centre of the universe, thus making the centre of the universe one's home. But you are saying that one is the centre of the universe, thus making oneself one's own home.
    How logical do you want to be?
    Thanks for the reply again.

I intend to say each one is one's own home. We make ourselves homes. That means I am the center of the universe from my perspective, you are the center of the universe too from you eye-view, and this is the same for others.

It is like a television soap opera, each character (almost) is the main lead in the story. Each one is the center of the universe, so there are many centers of the universe.

I am not saying that the centre of the universe is a place/ location that we share in this world/ universe. It is not a place we can take it and own it because it is in the owner's thought/ brain.

Am I making it clear enough...?

Thanks.
    Last edited by iamtime; 17-May-2011 at 22:26.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast