• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

music notebook......

The note-book for ones who practise muscial instrument with 5 lines in a row on the note-book.

1. What do we call the above note-book?
    __________________________________________________ ______
    2. Do we call notes for the signs putting on the 5-line showing the keys of the music?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    3. What do we call the little turning sticks ( around 4 on each side) on each side of the guitar handle which can tune the keys of the cord?
    __________________________________________________ ______________

4. What do we call the thin piece of hard stuff for protection one's fingers while playing guitar?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: music notebook......

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    The note-book for ones who practise muscial instrument with 5 lines in a row on the note-book.

1. What do we call the above note-book?
    A manuscript book.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    2. Do we call notes for the signs putting on the 5-line showing the keys of the music?
    I'm not sure what you mean. The signs used at the beginning of a stave to show the key are called 'the key signature'. When those signs occur on their own - one at a time - to change one note, they are 'accidentals'.
    3. What do we call the little turning sticks ( around 4 on each side) on each side of the guitar handle which can tune the keys of the cord?
    It depends on the guitar. If it is a flamenco guitar, they are 'pegs'. On most other guitars they are called 'machine-heads'.

4. What do we call the thin piece of hard stuff for protection one's fingers while playing guitar?
    A 'pick' or 'plectrum'. Some guitarists use a pick attached to each finger: these are called 'finger-picks' - except, of course, for the thumb-pick.

Thank you

b
    PS: These are the terms in Br Eng. In Am Eng there are differences in the names of notes (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_value ), and there may well be for other terms as well.
    Last edited by BobK; 17-May-2011 at 17:52. Reason: Added PS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Talking Re: music notebook......

Hi Ju

As regards your specific questions, it's a long time since I played the piano, violin and viola at school, so you'll have to bear with me.

1. What do we call the above note-book? A manuscript book.

2. The notes are Breves, semi-breves, crochets, quavers, semi-quavers and either semi-demi(?) or demi-semi(?)-quavers. The notes of the musical "score" are arranged on the five-line "staff" or "stave". Piano music normally uses 2 sets of 5-lines - the upper one for the right hand (treble [G] clef) and the lower for the left hand (base [F] clef). Violas use the C clef.
    See: Staff (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The "staff" also indicates the key "signature" ("sharps & flats"), the number of "beats to the "bar" and (above it) the "tempo" at which it's played.

They are called tuning pegs on a violin - see:
    Tuning pegs - encyclopedia article about Tuning pegs.
    Violins/violas have 4 - guitars, I believe, normally have 6.
    See: Guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's called a plectrum or pick - see
    plectrum - definition of plectrum by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    pick - definition of pick by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

One other useful reference is:
    Glossary of musical terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
    R21

PS In previewing, I've just noticed BobK's response which covers similar ground.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    The handle is called 'headstock', here's something pleasant for the eye:

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by nyota View Post
    The handle is called 'headstock', here's something pleasant for the eye:

Where did this picture come from? I'm afraid, though pleasant, it is misleading. The person who labelled the machine-heads presumably played the violin (which, like a flamenco guitar - which this is not - has pegs for tuning). Also, like many works of reference, it calls the fret-wires 'frets'. The fret is the space between the fret wires. (But this is such a commonly made mistake that the distinction I've made is falling into desuetude.)

Finally, I'm surprised by the label 'Stop Bar Tailpiece'. It may be called a 'stop bar', but it's not a tailpiece (which, on a semi-acoustic guitar, tethers the strings to a button at the base of the body - see http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/44685_l.jpg )

b

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Where did this picture come from? I'm afraid, though pleasant, it is misleading. The person who labelled the machine-heads presumably played the violin (which, like a flamenco guitar - which this is not - has pegs for tuning). Also, like many works of reference, it calls the fret-wires 'frets'. The fret is the space between the fret wires. (But this is such a commonly made mistake that the distinction I've made is falling into desuetude.)

Finally, I'm surprised by the label 'Stop Bar Tailpiece'. It may be called a 'stop bar', but it's not a tailpiece (which, on a semi-acoustic guitar, tethers the strings to a button at the base of the body - see http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/44685_l.jpg )

b
    Oops, I apologise then. I didn't double check the source. :|