[Vocabulary] Inhabitant tax or Resident tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello people,

I have some quick questions about the type of tax that you pay to your city and/or your country for living there?

1. Do you have any tax of the same concept in your country?
2. Do you use either of those two names?
3. If not, what is it called in your country?

I suppose there should be a variety of names. It would be interesting to know the case in your country.

Thanks in advance

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the UK we pay Council Tax for local services, Income Tax and National Insurance to central government and Value Added Tax (VAT) on goods we buy or jobs we pay for.

There are other taxes payable which somebody else can tell you about. I'm depressed just thinking about them.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In France there are two taxes for local services "habitation tax" (taxe d'habitation) which is paid by the occupant and "owners tax" (taxe foncière) which is paid by the owner of the building. If the occupant is the owner s/he pays both taxes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my state, local governments can charge each (adult) resident a "per capita" tax annually.

Property taxes are paid on land and buildings, and income taxes assessed, for local gov't and schools.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your responses.

Rover, I was merely interested in what words are applied but I feel your pain now. Looks like you've still covered every major tax name.

bhaisahab, "habitation tax" is a new phrase to me.

SoothingDave, I've heard that public school teachers' salary comes from income tax in America. Do you have any tax to pay just to be a resident of the city?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello everyone,

Rover, I was merely interested in what words are applied but I feel your pain now. Looks like you've still covered every major tax name.

SoothingDave, I've heard that public school teachers' salary comes from income tax in America. Do you have any tax to pay just to be a resident of the city?
"Habitation tax" is just a direct translation from the French "taxe d'habitation". It's not an English phrase.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

Public schools are funded differently in different states, but property tax is a part of it. In my state, the state gives some money for local schools from state tax money from various taxes. The local school board collects income and property taxes to provide the majority of the funding for schools.

Cities (or townships or boroughs) usually charge a "per capita" tax on all residents. They also charge "occupational privilege" taxes on all who work in the city.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In Australia, these are called (city/town/shire council) rates. These are calculated on land ownership. So, if you're renting, you don't pay rates directly - the owner does, and the owner considers the rates when he fixes the rent.
They cover town-specific things like garbage collection, local road repair.
Teachers here are generally a state government (tax) expense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.