Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which of the option is acceptable, revelation or release?

At the thinking of the _____________ of radiation, everybody is panic-stricken. (revelation, release)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Which of the option is acceptable, revelation or release?

At the thinking of the _____________ of radiation, everybody is panic-stricken. (revelation, release)
"Revelation" doesn't make sense here. "Release" is OK.

"At the thinking" should be "at the thought" and I think it should be "a release", not "the release", but it might depend on context -- I'm not sure.

GUS22

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Argentina
release.
It should be "at the thought of"

the or a release are acceptable. "The" obviously referring to a specific release and "a" referring to a non specific release. Although of course this is a grey area.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
the or a release are acceptable. "The" obviously referring to a specific release and "a" referring to a non specific release. Although of course this is a grey area.
This does not however dispel my doubts. My problem with "the" here is that it's difficult for me to come up with a context in which it would be appropriate. I would be interested in learning your ideas on it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say a nuclear plant had to do a controlled release of radioactive steam in order to prevent a catastrophe. They could very well talk about the release of radioactivity.

(This is what happened at Three Mile Island in 1979.)

GUS22

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Argentina
This does not however dispel my doubts. My problem with "the" here is that it's difficult for me to come up with a context in which it would be appropriate. I would be interested in learning your ideas on it.

The thought of the release of radiation from the Fukishima nuclear plant and the havoc it will wreak , sends shivers down my spine.

or :

I shiver at the thought of the recent release of radiation from Fukishima

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Say a nuclear plant had to do a controlled release of radioactive steam in order to prevent a catastrophe. They could very well talk about the release of radioactivity.

(This is what happened at Three Mile Island in 1979.)
This is a good example I think, if I understand correctly that you mean a future release. I didn't think of that, thanks. I was thinking about an ongoing release and "at the thought" seemed redundant to me.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The thought of the release of radiation from the Fukishima nuclear plant and the havoc it will wreak , sends shivers down my spine.

or :

I shiver at the thought of the recent release of radiation from Fukishima
Yes, but this example is different. There is a difference between shivers down the spine and panic. Soothing Dave's example solves my problem though. Thank you both.

GUS22

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Argentina
Yes, but this example is different. There is a difference between shivers down the spine and panic. Soothing Dave's example solves my problem though. Thank you both.

Incorrect : they work in exactly the same way :

The thought of the release of radiation from the Fukishima nuclear plant is causing everybody to panic.

or :

I panic at the thought of the recent release of radiation from Fukishima

Panic stricken doesnt really work in the original sentance .The point is that in general "the" refers to a specific release and "a" can be be a non specific release or one that has not yet occurred.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I panic at the thought of the recent release of radiation from Fukishima
I don't think it's a good sentence. Are you near Fukushima or are you not?

GUS22

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Argentina
I don't think it's a good sentence. Are you near Fukushima or are you not?

Thats because you are Polish and dont know how to speak English properly and I do.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thats [...] dont
Please remember that we are supposed to use proper punctuation and spelling here. Especially teachers should set a good example.

As for the rest of your post, I have nothing to say.

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
Thats because you are Polish and dont know how to speak English properly and I do.
That is not a very polite thing to post. We have had ample evidence in this forum of BC's ability to produce English of a higher standard than some native speakers. We have also had ample evidence of her ability to use apostrophes correctly, and to be polite to other members.

GUS22

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Argentina
Please remember that we are supposed to use proper punctuation and spelling here. Especially teachers should set a good example.

As for the rest of your post, I have nothing to say.

birdeens call - please accept my apology - that was indeed an unpleasant thing to say. To be honest I was angry about something at work and took it out on you. There is however nothing wrong with the sentance "I panic at the thought bla bla bla" - that doesn't excuse me behaving like a knob though.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
birdeens call - please accept my apology - that was indeed an unpleasant thing to say. To be honest I was angry about something at work and took it out on you. There is however nothing wrong with the sentance "I panic at the thought bla bla bla" - that doesn't excuse me behaving like a knob though.
Apology accepted. :) I'm glad you have posted it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.