Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My daughter is 12, and she does not have a required reading list for the summer from school. So, her mom is going to provide her with one.

I'd like to give her a list of six books and have her read four of them over the summer.

She's a good reader, but she's 12... so appropriate subject matter can be a problem. She has read all the Harry Potter books and the Rick Reardon books.

The one title for sure is The Little Prince.

What suggestions would you have for her? Age-appropriate but still something to make her think a bit.

Your suggestions will be appreciated! (And maybe people learning English might enjoy the reading list as well.)

Thanks!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Has she read The Hobbit? I read that, and the Lord of the Rings, some time between 10 and 12.

There are also Watership Down, A Wrinkle in Time, Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH, and The Chronicles of Narnia.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Perhaps too British, but there are interesting references to the American way of life, in Back Home by Michelle Magorian.

It's the story of a girl (your daughter's age) returning to her anal British family after spending the war years in the USA.

I also second most of konungursvia's choices. The Narnia books are too Christian for my taste, but the recent films may make them interesting for your daughter. K's other choices are wonderful; at the age of 65 I have just re-read NIMH, as has my daughter (35). If our adult pleasure in the book puts you off, I must add that both my offspring loved it when they were your daughter's age.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Great suggestions... she's read quite a few but the Hobbit is a great one that she hasn't read. Sadly her sister had Watership Down for school this year and nothing ruins a good book faster than vocabulary tests and chapter quizzes. I will look for the others.

Thanks! And more suggestions welcome.

(All of us have enjoyed Nesbitt's books so British is okay!!)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Great suggestions... she's read quite a few but the Hobbit is a great one that she hasn't read. Sadly her sister had Watership Down for school this year and nothing ruins a good book faster than vocabulary tests and chapter quizzes. I will look for the others.

Thanks! And more suggestions welcome.

(All of us have enjoyed Nesbitt's books so British is okay!!)

My son enjoyed Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Salman Rushdie) when I read it to him (partly, I guess, because I did); I'm not sure whether it's suitable for self-reading at that age, but it's very good.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I haven't had much to do with 12-year-olds for quite some time, so my suggestions may be completely wrong, but, for what they're worth:

- Burnett's The Secret Garden is a bit old, but perhaps still a good book?

- The Oz books?

- Tom Sawyer?

- Anne of Green Gables?

All terribly old... :oops:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oldies are goodies! I know she's read Anne and the Secret Garden (which was made into a musical with very beautiful music). I'll put Oz on the list. I won't make her write an essay on how the movie and Wicked differ from the original story, though!

All great suggestions, everyone. Thanks so much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Lovely Bones
Of Mice And Men
Animal Farm
The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't recommend 1984 or Animal Farm for a 12-year old girl; these two are dated, politically biassed, simplistic polemics against a now-defunct ideology. I found them pretty boring at 17.

Corinne Floyd

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Reading the "oldies" is great. However, I also encourage ESL students and older students who struggle with reading to read books that are easy to read, have exciting story lines, and age appropriate. Teens and adult students are not usually interested in the perils of a fourth grader or in talking animals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't recommend 1984 or Animal Farm for a 12-year old girl; these two are dated, politically biassed, simplistic polemics against a now-defunct ideology. I found them pretty boring at 17.

Each to their own. I read Animal Farm at the age of 10, by choice, and 1984 as a required book in English Literature at school at 13. I loved both of them. Many books are politically biased!

Ermedin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Macedonia
Current Location
Macedonia
I suggest you to keep him reading this title:

Visible Ink Press :: The Handy Answer Book for Kids

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Each to their own. I read Animal Farm at the age of 10, by choice, and 1984 as a required book in English Literature at school at 13. I loved both of them. Many books are politically biased!

Another each to- I read Animal Farm when I was a child and enjoyed it greatly- the scenes with Boxer's end were very moving, and I probably had very little idea about the political element.

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My daughter is 12, and she does not have a required reading list for the summer from school. So, her mom is going to provide her with one.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I am not quite sure those books are good enough for twelve-year-old girls, but at least they are interesting and about children, sorcerers and djinn... And I have the nerve to offer them for your daughter's summer reading list, because they make a reader think . :)

The Amulet of Samarkand: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1
The Golem's Eye: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 2
Ptolemy's Gate: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 3

virus99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Twi
Home Country
Bhutan
Current Location
Tuvalu
It might be a little late for another recommendation but I have noticed that one of my favourite books (as a child) is available in English too. It is not a well known one so the chances that your daughter has already read it are not too high.

Title: The Museum of Stolen Memories

Short description:
Stone figures suddenly come to life and prowl round the dark museum. Memories disappear from the heads of people. Strange things are going on in Berlin.
When the twins Oliver and Jessica return home from their holidays, they have forgotten all
about their father. All that remains is an unsettling feeling of emptiness. There is absolutely no trace of their father. The police appear on the scene - they, too, are looking for Thomas Pollock, claiming that the twins' father has stolen an ancient golden statue from the Pergamon Museum.

Maybe an idea :)

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How about Roald Dahl books? Danny the Champion of the World is my favourite.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had wandered away from this thread and was delighted to find more suggestions posted here today. Thanks again to all of you for sharing the books you've enjoyed.

Some sound perfect!

I appreciate hearing all your ideas. (Even if she doesn't read that trilogy, I think I may!)

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
What about The Railway Children, since you wrote oldies are OK? I actually never read it, but I loved the movie when I was about your daughter's age.

I find Terry Pratchett's Discworld books absolutely hilarious. If you like them too, there are some especially for younger readers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll second posts #16 and #18; I can't think why I, or somebody else did not come up with Dahl and Pratchett before this. They are great fun, and very popular with young people - and with the not-so-young.

Status
Not open for further replies.