Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you say "birth mother", is it mainly for an adopted child?
I think birth mother = real mother = biological mother, but when to use each of them?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, for an adopted child. I wouldn't say "real mother." The real mother is the one who raises and cares for the child, not the one who gave birth.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Real mother" is a highly inflammatory thing to say for [some/most/all] adoptive families.

I can't think of a context to use "birth mother" outside of an adoption situation. Oh, I take that back -- surrogate mothers could be birth mothers.

But as Dave says, the "real" mother is the woman who brings up, nurtures, and loves that child, regardless of biology.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But as Dave says, the "real" mother is the woman who brings up, nurtures, and loves that child, regardless of biology.
Unless that person is a man. Recently a homosexual couple here acquired a baby from a surrogate friend. Who is the real mother?
As you say, it's an inflammatory term, and best not used.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't call either of those men the real mother - they are the baby's real fathers!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Real mother" is a highly inflammatory thing to say for [some/most/all] adoptive families.

I can't think of a context to use "birth mother" outside of an adoption situation. Oh, I take that back -- surrogate mothers could be birth mothers.

I believe surrogacy ends in a legal adoption, doesn't it?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I believe surrogacy ends in a legal adoption, doesn't it?
It should, ideally, and perhaps this is the most likely outcome. Unfortunately, there are very often legal challenges from the surrogate who wants to keep the baby. So, rather than being adopted, a court assigns the right of parenthood or guardianship.
In other places where surrogacy is illegal, adoption by the intended parents would also be illegal - again, a matter for the courts, or simply an informal arrangement in which the child is not officially adopted out by the surrogate. This has the disadvantage that several years later, the child-raising parents have no legal standing when the birth mother wants the child back.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/15/1060936056512.html

Status
Not open for further replies.