• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Smile Would you please help me with this question ??

Would you please help me with this question, I found in it a grammar book I bought to learn English grammar. I don't really know how to answer it.

Explain the grammatical usage of the items underlined:
    1-As soon as it began to rain, the children wanted to go outdoors.
    2-Had he practiced a little more, he would have got the licence.
    3-Since oil is bound to run out, people should do their best to conserve it.
    4-As no nuclear weapons have been found in Iraq, the American invasion has proved unjustifiable.
    5-Since I came to this country, I have learnt a lot.
    6-Were the goods to be late, the order would be canceled.
    7-Now that the term is over, they are going to go on a vacation trip.
    8-As American troops were invading Iraq, millions of people demonstrated all over the world.
    9-Due to rain, the match was put off.
    10-You should always read the contract before you sign.
    11- Should any complications turn up, our technicians would tackle them.
    12- Needing money to buy a book, he borrowed some from his friend.
    Last edited by Nefer2010; 24-May-2011 at 01:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Would you please help me with this question ??

Quote Originally Posted by Nefer2010 View Post
    Would you please help me with this question, I found in it a grammar book I bought to learn English grammar. I don't really know how to answer it.

Explain the grammatical usage of the items underlined:
    1-As soon as it began to rain, the children wanted to go outdoors.
    2-Had he practiced a little more, he would have got the licence.
    3-Since oil is bound to run out, people should do their best to conserve it.
    4-As no nuclear weapons have been found in Iraq, the American invasion has proved unjustifiable.
    5-Since I came to this country, I have learnt a lot.
    6-Were the goods to be late, the order would be canceled.
    7-Now that the term is over, they are going to go on a vacation trip.
    8-As American troops were invading Iraq, millions of people demonstrated all over the world.
    9-Due to rain, the match was put off.
    10-You should always read the contract before you sign.
    11- Should any complications turn up, our technicians would tackle them.

12- Needing money to buy a book, he borrowed some from his friend.
    A term like "explain the grammatical usage" has no fixed meaning out of context. You will probably find that these exercises come after a chapter in which types of "grammatical usage" of phrases and clauses are explained. You are meant to use the teaching chapter as a source for your answers.

For example, if the chapter teaches adverbial clauses, then "Adverbial clause" would be a correct answer for 1. If it taught different types of adverbial clause, then the right answer might be "Adverbial clause of time".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Smile Re: Would you please help me with this question ??and correct my answers if wrong.??

well would you correct my answers please if they were wrong?

1- An adverbial clause of time .

2-An adverbial clause of condition .
    or
    a conditional clause of the second type,it indicates that he neither practised more nor got the licence,contrary to fact supposition about a past event.

3-An adverbial clause of cause,that indicates the reason ,the action was done .so the grammatical usage of this clause is to indicate why people should try to conserve it

4-An adverbial clause of cause.

5-An adverbial clause of time ,indicates that he began to learn a lot since he came to this country.

6-An adverbial clause of condition
    or
    this is a conditional clause of the second type contrary to the fact supposition for the future.

7-An adverbial clause of cause,that indicates the reason ,the action was done .so the grammatical usage of this clause is to indicate why they will go on a trip.

8-this is a cluse of time .it indicates that while the american troops were invading iraq ,people demonstrated all over the world.

9-this is an adverbial phrase of cause ,it indicates that the match was delayed because of the rain.

10-this is an adverbial clause of time.
    11-An adverbial clause of condition
    or
    this is a conditional clause of the second type contrary to the fact supposition for the future.

12- this is an adverbial phrase of cause ,it indicates that because he needed money to buy a book , he borrowed some money from a friend.

Are these answers very detailed ? Which is the correct one in the answers of sentences 2,6 and 11 ?Should I just use the short one and only say that it is a clause of time, cause and so on?
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Nefer2010; 24-May-2011 at 01:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Would you please help me with this question ??and correct my answers if wrong.??

Quote Originally Posted by Nefer2010 View Post
    well would you correct my answers please if they were wrong?

1- An adverbial clause of time . Yes

2-An adverbial clause of condition .
    or
    a conditional clause of the second type,it indicates that he neither practised more nor got the licence,contrary to fact supposition about a past event. I'd call it a conditional clause, but again, I can only reiterate that the answer must follow the examples in the teaching chapter.

3-An adverbial clause of cause Yes that indicates the reason ,the action was done .so the grammatical usage of this clause is to indicate why people should try to conserve it

4-An adverbial clause of cause. Yes.

5-An adverbial clause of time , Yes
    indicates that he began to learn a lot since he came to this country.

6-An adverbial clause of condition Yes
    or
    this is a conditional clause of the second type contrary to the fact supposition for the future. Yes

7-An adverbial clause of cause,that indicates the reason ,the action was done .so the grammatical usage of this clause is to indicate why they will go on a trip. Time?

8-this is a cluse of time Yes.
    .it indicates that while the american troops were invading iraq ,people demonstrated all over the world.

9-this is an adverbial phrase of cause ,it indicates that the match was delayed because of the rain. Yes.

10-this is an adverbial clause of time. Yes.
    11-An adverbial clause of condition Yes.
    or
    this is a conditional clause of the second type contrary to the fact supposition for the future. Yes.

12- this is an adverbial phrase of cause Yes.
    ,it indicates that because he needed money to buy a book , he borrowed some money from a friend.

Are these answers very detailed ?
    They seem to be adequate.
    Which is the correct one in the answers of sentences 2,6 and 11 ?
    I don't know. See my last post. Did the chapter teach and give examples of conditional clauses? Was there even a chapter related to these exercises?

Should I just use the short one and only say that it is a clause of time, cause and so on?
    Thank you very much.
    Depends. If you are using this book purely for self-teaching, then you'd learn more with a more detailed answer, I presume. If the answers are for someone else, then that person should tell you what they expect.
    R.