Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
Could a count noun immediately follow the phrase "depend on" without using an article (a, an, the)?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could a count noun immediately follow the phrase "depend on" without using an article (a, an, the)?
Yes, if it's a plural. Otherwise, I can't think of an example just now. Probably not.

Migg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
i mean a SINGULAR count noun.

But what about "vary with"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
i mean a SINGULAR count noun.

But what about "vary with"?
No. Did you have any phrases in mind using singular count nouns?

Migg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
"depend on venue", "vary with venue", .... According to several dictionaries, "venue" is COUNTABLE, unless.... they are wrong or incomplete.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"depend on venue", "vary with venue", .... According to several dictionaries, "venue" is COUNTABLE, unless.... they are wrong or incomplete.
OK, well that's telegraphic writing.
On an advertisement, "Catering varies with venue" means "The catering varies with the venue". "The type of catering depends upon the venue."
I assumed you meant in a full, proper sentence.

Migg

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
"While it does not specify training methods, Cal/OSHA says that evaluation of compliance will also depend on manner of presentation, and that enforcement personnel will quiz employees in assessing whether an employer has made a good faith effort to convey essential content."

"manner", in this context, is countable. I found the above paragraph from some newsletter.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"While it does not specify training methods, Cal/OSHA says that evaluation of compliance will also depend on manner of presentation, and that enforcement personnel will quiz employees in assessing whether an employer has made a good faith effort to convey essential content."

"manner", in this context, is countable. I found the above paragraph from some newsletter.
Good. You have found an example. Yes, this is quite acceptable. It's still an abbreviation, but it is correct English.
So the answer to your original question is, "Yes, in some cases, especially when the noun is abstract."

Status
Not open for further replies.