Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Georgia
I need info on the phrase "You get what you pay for and pay for what you get". How long has it been around? Where did it come from? What I did find was Kurt Vonnegut saying from Cat's Cradle- In this world, you get what you pay for..
Thanks,
Vernita

docdoc

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This isn't exactly the same phrase, but the idea is similar, and I just ran across it last night in Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett and was struck by it. Here is the quote from the book:

"Years before, in college, she'd taken a literature course and they had read a lot of James Baldwin, among others. Though she couldn't remember what book it came from, one line in particular had always stuck with her. People pay for what they do, Baldwin had written, and more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply, with the lives they lead."

Last edited:

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This isn't exactly the same phrase, but the idea is similar, and I just ran across it last night in Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett and was struck by it. Here is the quote from the book:

"Years before, in college, she'd taken a literature course and they had read a lot of James Baldwin, among others. Though she couldn't remember what book it came from, one line in particular had always stuck with her. People pay for what they do, Baldwin had written, and more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply, with the lives they lead."

I love that line!
:-D

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi docdoc

I agree with SanMar - what an excellent quote.
I've managed to locate the original James Baldwin source:

James Baldwin - Wikiquote
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become, and they pay for it, very simply, by the lives they lead.
  • No Name in the Street (1972)"
I can think of a number of current situations where such a quote could easily apply!

Many thanks for posting it!

Best regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.