Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
/ɜ/ sound in American english

Hey, guys.
In American english, like the word earn, do you pronounce as ɜrn? I mean, firstly, you make the ɜ sound, followed by the r sound, last is the n sound.:)

Last edited:

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
ɝ and ɚ are the same thing.

To make the sound, just say ə and then the ɹ. You might find Wikipedia's audio sample helpful:
R-colored vowel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the /tn/ in mountain, you might find this video helpful:

YouTube - ‪Lesson 14 - Glottal Stop - English Pronunciation‬‏

Well, Thank you! I appreciate it!
Actually, I had watched another youtube video before I posted here.
I was told to move my tongue to the position where you make the t sound, make the n sound without releasing it.
As for the er sound as in dancer, I think I have to discuss with my Godmom or study myself. Thank you, anyway!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was told to move my tongue to the position where you make the t sound, make the n sound without releasing it.
If you do that you'll make a glottal stop. You'll be understood much better if you pronounce the 't' in mountain as /t/.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you do that you'll make a glottal stop. You'll be understood much better if you pronounce the 't' in mountain as /t/.

Okay, I'll give it a whirl. Thank you!:)
But I still don't get used to putting my tongue on the alveolar ridge when making that /t/ sound. My mum said I look like a person who stutter.:-(
I think I ought to practise more and more.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Okay, I'll give it a whirl. Thank you!:)
But I still don't get used to putting my tongue on the alveolar ridge when making that /t/ sound. My mum said I look like a person who stutter.:-(
I think I ought to practise more and more.
Mothers aren't always right. What do other people say?
And where do you put your tongue when you say a /t/ if not on the alveolar ridge? There are retroflex and dental /t/s, but they don't occur in English.

PS: No disrespect meant to your mother, of course.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Mothers aren't always right. What do other people say?
And where do you put your tongue when you say a /t/ if not on the alveolar ridge? There are retroflex and dental /t/s, but they don't occur in English.

PS: No disrespect meant to your mother, of course.

They didn't say anything as I didn't do like that in front of them.( it's so embarassing.:))
Well, I can sort of make that sound without pressing my front part of the tongue against the alveolar ridge. It's just very close to the alveolar ridge.
But, I know I have to put my tongue on the alveolar ridge purposely so as to make that sound properly..
No disrespect meant to your mother, of course.?I Don't care! She disrespected me first.:). She was like, you're like a person who have speech disorder. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.