Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
could someone be so kind and explain the difference between them? (preferably in simple English ;-))

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,
could someone be so kind and explain the difference between them? (preferably in simple English ;-))

Thanks
Someone may be able to help you, but most of us here deal with modern English, so don't be too surprised if you get no response.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Thanks

Are you sure you know what you're asking? I'm certainly not. Nouns and pronouns were inflected in OE; so were adjectives.

I don't know a huge amount about OE, but I know enough to recognize a question that doesn't make sense. ;-)

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are you sure you know what you're asking? I'm certainly not. Nouns and pronouns were inflected in OE; so were adjectives.

I don't know a huge amount about OE, but I know enough to recognize a question that doesn't make sense. ;-)

b
The question does actually make sense. I know too little to explain the details, but there were, generally, two patterns of adjectival inflection in early Germanic langauges. Some adjectives were inflected like nouns and some like pronouns.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
;-) I stand corrected (but that's another thread). I'll try to find out more (but don't hold your breath, anyone)...

b

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
It would be quite difficult to list here, but google "The electronic introduction to Old English." Maybe it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.