View Poll Results: 'In the street'

Voters
3. This poll is closed
  • Used by British speakers

    2 66.67%
  • Used by American speakers

    1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #1

    Question 'In/on the street'?

    Hi,

    Is there any general rule or any known idea that in the street is mostly used in BrE?


    Thanks.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    I can confirm that it's not used in the US unless you mean the part where the cars go.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 337
    #3

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Hello, Mehrgan.

    Our kind teachers have recently answered a similar question. I find their answers extremely helpful. Perhaps you will equally benefit from their posts.

    Here is the URL adress of that post.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...reet-name.html

    Richard

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #4

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi,

    Is there any general rule or any known idea that in the street is mostly used in BrE?


    Thanks.


    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) What a coincidence!!!

    (2) After I had read your post and the great answers, I turned

    off my computer and decided to force myself to read a little

    Shakespeare (because everyone says Shakespeare is good

    for you).

    (3) Guess what I read in Othello (act iv, scene i, line 170):

    IAGO: After her, after her.

    CASSIO: Faith, I must, she'll rail i' the street else.

    NOTES: My dictionary tells me that "to rail" = to complain;

    "Faith," I think (think!!!) is an Irish interjection meaning something

    like "indeed."


    Respectfully yours,


    James

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #5

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) What a coincidence!!!

    (2) After I had read your post and the great answers, I turned

    off my computer and decided to force myself to read a little

    Shakespeare (because everyone says Shakespeare is good

    for you).

    (3) Guess what I read in Othello (act iv, scene i, line 170):

    IAGO: After her, after her.

    CASSIO: Faith, I must, she'll rail i' the street else.

    NOTES: My dictionary tells me that "to rail" = to complain;

    "Faith," I think (think!!!) is an Irish interjection meaning something

    like "indeed."


    Respectfully yours,


    James
    Off-topic question: Is there a reason you used the past perfect in point no. 2? "After I had read ...." It's not necessary, and I'm sure you're aware of this, so I'd like to know why you nevertheless used it.

    Thank you in advance for the explanation!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #6

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    I [...] decided to force myself to read a little Shakespeare (because everyone says Shakespeare is good for you).


    "Faith" does indeed mean indeed, and perhaps the Irish still use it, but it wasn't Irish when Shakespeare used it. The interjection was used in England at the time.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #7

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    I might be wrong but I seem to recall seeing "i'faith" in Shakespeare at school. I believe it was a contraction of "In faith". Seems to have been shortened to just "Faith" quite a lot though.
    My Irish grandfather certainly used it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #8

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I might be wrong but I seem to recall seeing "i'faith" in Shakespeare at school. I believe it was a contraction of "In faith". Seems to have been shortened to just "Faith" quite a lot though.
    My Irish grandfather certainly used it.
    There are examples of "faith" without "in" meaning indeed here. (Some time after Shakespeare.)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #9

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen165 View Post
    Off-topic question: Is there a reason you used the past perfect in point no. 2? "After I had read ...." It's not necessary, and I'm sure you're aware of this, so I'd like to know why you nevertheless used it.

    Thank you in advance for the explanation!

    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) You are certainly an eagle-eyed lawyer!!!

    (2) I actually agonized over whether or not to use the simple past

    (past simple?) or the past perfect.

    (3) I thought that the past perfect would be "perfect" English.

    "After I had read your post [at 3 p.m.], I decided [at 3:15 p.m.] to read

    some Shakespeare." / "I decided to read some Shakespeare after I had

    read your post."

    (4) I agree that it was not necessary, but was it wrong? If it was

    wrongly used, please let me know so that I can improve my

    English.


    Respectfully yours,


    James

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: 'In/on the street'?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    "After I had read your post [at 3 p.m.], I decided [at 3:15 p.m.] to read some Shakespeare." / "I decided to read some Shakespeare after I had read your post."

    (4) I agree that it was not necessary, but was it wrong?
    No; it is not necessary, as 'after' makes the sequence of the actions clear, but it is certainly not wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. on the street
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2008, 18:47
  2. street
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2007, 16:19
  3. One-way street
    By wuwei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2007, 05:24
  4. The second street!!!
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2006, 14:24
  5. walk the street, walked along the street
    By dcomest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2005, 07:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •