[General] is this a good way for kid to learn phonics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear all,

I just got this clip from youtube, it is a phonics song, only pronounce the consonant sounds without vowel sounds, do you think it is a good way for kid to learn the sound of english?

Phonics Alphabet ABC Song

default.jpg

YouTube - ‪Phonics Alphabet ABC Song‬‏

EngFan

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear all,

I just got this clip from youtube, it is a phonics song, only pronounce the consonant sounds without vowel sounds, do you think it is a good way for kid to learn the sound of english?

default.jpg

YouTube - ‪Phonics Alphabet ABC Song‬‏

EngFan

Well, I already watched that video. I think your kids would learn the phonics in the wrong way unless you know how to teach them.By the way, do you know phonetics? In that case, you could teach them in that way. Or I'd suggest getting a phonetics teacher or native speaker to teach your child. Nonetheless, you can give it a shot!:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all,

EngFan
No, it's extremely limited.
Firstly, the consonants aren't always pronounced the same - eg, 'c' isn't always /k/, 'g' isn't always /g/.
The vowels and consonants don't give all the sounds of English, for example, 'th', 'sh', tsh' ... don't exist in the alphabet.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, it's extremely limited.
Firstly, the consonants aren't always pronounced the same - eg, 'c' isn't always /k/, 'g' isn't always /g/.
The vowels and consonants don't give all the sounds of English, for example, 'th', 'sh', tsh' ... don't exist in the alphabet.

That's true. Your explanation is pretty clear. :) why didn't I think of that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.