Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do Americans necessairly take a trip on their vacation? Or they can stay home? Do you say go on vacation? I mean the collocation?
Thanks

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do Americans necessairly take a trip on their vacation? Or they can stay home? Do you say go on vacation? I mean the collocation?
Thanks

Hey there, I'm neither a teacher nor native speaker. I'm just trying to tell you what I know. As far as i know, the phrases ''Go on vacation'' is pretty common in US.
By the way, I'm not quite sure what your question is. What're you trying to ask?
''On the vacation'' and ''On vacation'' are slightly different if my memory serves me well. Period!:)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have you looked at Similar Threads at the bottom of the page?

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "vacation" is a paid day off of work. You need not go on a trip in order to be "on vacation."

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually just saying "I'm going on vacation" or "We took a vacation" indicates that the person took a trip somewhere. Sometimes when a person schedules some vacation time off from work, his co-worker might ask "Do you have any plans while you're gone?" or "Are you going anywhere during your vacation?" In this case, taking "vacation days" from work means that you are taking paid time off from your job. Sometimes people take vacation days and use them to stay home and relax, or to take care of personal business. Therefore, when referring to vacation time among co-workers it's not immediately apparent that you're going away on a holiday. However, if you're talking to friends or family or chatting with someone in line at the supermarket and you mention (for example) "I'm going on vacation next week", they will automatically assume that you are going to travel somewhere. They will usually respond by asking "Oh, how nice, where are you going?"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
During the height of the recession in 2009, attempts were made to coin the term "staycation," that being where you take your vacation from work but stay at home in order to save money.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Staycation was in use in BrE last year too.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Britain wouldn't it be a holistay?

Status