• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thumbs down Cycling...

Who can help me with understanding this passage. Many thanks in advance.....The first thing a non-cyclist says to you is: "But isn't it terribly dangerous?" It would be foolish to deny the danger of sharing the road with motor vehicles and it must be admitted that there are an alarming number of accidents involving cyclists. However, although police records (1)that the car driver is often to blame, the answer lies with the cyclist. It is possible to ride in such a way as to reduce risks to a minimum.
    A. point B. indicate C. display D. exhibit

I opt A. point. However, the answer is "B. indicate". I don't understand why.

Numbers, Writing [Edit Tags]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Cycling...

Quote Originally Posted by fire fly View Post
    Who can help me with understanding this passage. Many thanks in advance.....The first thing a non-cyclist says to you is: "But isn't it terribly dangerous?" It would be foolish to deny the danger of sharing the road with motor vehicles and it must be admitted that there are an alarming number of accidents involving cyclists. However, although police records (1)that the car driver is often to blame, the answer lies with the cyclist. It is possible to ride in such a way as to reduce risks to a minimum.
    A. point B. indicate C. display D. exhibit

I opt A. point. However, the answer is "B. indicate". I don't understand why.
    Numbers, Writing [Edit Tags]
    You chose A which would give "...police records point that..."
    We do not use "point that". If you wanted to use "point" then the sentence would have to read "...police records point TO THE FACT that..."

However, "...indicate that..." is perfectly acceptable and is indeed the correct answer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: Cycling...

Many thanks to emsr2d2