Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The patient is psychotic after her twin sister passed away, she did lots of crazy things, so the doctor is saying to Melinda like this.
What does "pry open her window" mean as a figurative meaning?

-ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404]doctor-[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] I want her to learn to take responsibility for her actions. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]She's not dangerous. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]She just wanted something to pry open her window with.[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404]mel- Um... sure.

[/FONT]

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'Pry' means to use a tool to force something (such as a window or a door)
open, when opening it in the usual way is difficult or impossible.

If the patient is psychotic, her window has probably been locked or
sealed so it could not be easily opened.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
'Pry' means to use a tool to force something (such as a window or a door)
open, when opening it in the usual way is difficult or impossible.

If the patient is psychotic, her window has probably been locked or
sealed so it could not be easily opened.

This is the line about the background, she stole a letter opener from an antique shop, and the shop's owner, Melinda, the star of the drama, visits the hospital and talks like this. I'm not sure if it's really a figurative meaning or a physical meaning as you said. I'm all confused.

-ghost whisperer

[FONT=굴림]Doctor- I was afraid you might file a complaint with the police.[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]Mel-[/FONT][FONT=굴림] No, i was just... worried, actually.[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]Doctor-[/FONT][FONT=굴림] I wonder if you wouldn't mind. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]I'd like to create an opportunity for natalie [/FONT][FONT=굴림]to make amends to you for what she did.[/FONT][FONT=굴림]Call it a sort of therapeutic intervention. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]I want her to learn to take responsibility for her actions. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]She's not dangerous. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]She just wanted something to pry open her window with.[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]Mel-[/FONT][FONT=굴림] Um... sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]Doctor-[/FONT][FONT=굴림]Natalie? [/FONT][FONT=굴림]I'm sure you remember Ms. Gordon. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]She runs the antique store [/FONT][FONT=굴림]that you took the letter opener from. [/FONT][FONT=굴림]Is there something you'd like to say to her?[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]Natalie-[/FONT][FONT=굴림] I'm sorry.[/FONT]
[FONT=굴림]her dead twin-[/FONT][FONT=굴림] So i see you decided to grace us with your presence after all.[/FONT]​

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it's figurative or metaphorical. I think the doctor is saying that she is not dangerous even though recently she tried to pry open the window of her room with something.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't think it's figurative or metaphorical. I think the doctor is saying that she is not dangerous even though recently she tried to pry open the window of her room with something.

Thinking from your perspective, I think you are right. Millions of thanks for your kind answer!!!:):):)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Or, even though she stole a knife.
I think a psychotic person stealing a knife would be more of an indication of possible danger than trying to pry open her own window.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or, even though she stole a knife.
I think a psychotic person stealing a knife would be more of an indication of possible danger than trying to pry open her own window.

If, in fact, she did steal a knife! If she only stole a thin piece of wood or a spoon in order to attempt to pry open her window, I'd think her much less dangerous.

Having said that, I'd love to see the newspaper headline "Psychotic killer goes on rampage with a spoon"!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If, in fact, she did steal a knife! If she only stole a thin piece of wood or a spoon in order to attempt to pry open her window, I'd think her much less dangerous.

Having said that, I'd love to see the newspaper headline "Psychotic killer goes on rampage with a spoon"!
I think most letter openers are knife-shaped. I haven't seen the TV show, but my understanding is that Melinda, the shop owner, would be more worried about her having stolen the kn ... er letter-opener.

I'd love to see the newspaper headline "Psychotic killer loses keys: tries to gain access to her own house through a window!" ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.