Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
United States
When in a meeting, the department manager announces your departure news to the rest of the workers by saying:

..Aha has accepted a manager position offer from XYZ company and his last day with us is 6/10. Congratulations to Aha! We’ll miss having you around. We wish you well in your new opportunity.

Could anyone tell me how to respond in this situation? What should I say? What are good phrases to use?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much- I will miss you all too.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's an official business meeting and you're surrounded by professional colleagues, you can also take this opportunity to say (after acknowledging that you'll likewise miss your co-workers) "I learned a lot during my time here and it was a pleasure working with all of you." Or something like that. You want to slip a little bit of flattery in wherever you can, just in case you need a recommendation from someone in attendance at this meeting for a future job. :-D ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
..Aha has accepted a manager position offer from XYZ company and his last day with us is 6/10.
6/10 -
He just passed his last day.
His last day is [on] 6th October (BrE, AusE)
His last day is [on] 10th June. (AmE)

6/10, in international English, is barely distinguishable as a date at all, and if it is, it's ambiguous.

Status
Not open for further replies.