Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the US TV series, Monk is being stared down by a deliveryman who wants more money than the agreed amount.

Monk breaks off to tell his assistant, Natalie, about it.

She says 'Just look him in the eye and say "NO"'.

Monk replies 'I don't think I can. I've never won a stare-down in my life. I'm oh for five.'

That's what it sounded like, and the subtitle (AE closed caption) rendered it I'm 0 for 5.

Does that mean anything to any of you?

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know it's a sporting reference but not sure which sport. It means someone's had five goes at something but has so far scored zero.

Doesn't have to be 5.

If I've had 3 attempts at making a decent risotto (for example) but so far they've all been disastrous, I'd say I was O for 3.

So he's taken part in 5 staredowns and won none of them.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's from baseball. The batter tries to hit the ball the pitcher throws (in a way which lets him reach a base safely). If he fails, he makes an "out."

Batting averages are calculated based on how many "hits" he gets divided by how many "at bats" (attempts).

During a typical game, each player gets several chances to bat. So on a good night he may be 2 for 3 or 4 for 4. But on a bad night, he would be 0 for 4.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
Exactemonte.
You can also be 0-5 stealing bases, throwing out runners, and etc., but primarily it's the batter's hits per at bats.
1000 AB, 375 H = .375 batting average. (3.75/5) Batter up.:up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you all for satisfying my curiosity.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Exactemonte.
You can also be 0-5 stealing bases, throwing out runners, and etc., but primarily it's the batter's hits per at bats.
1000 AB, 375 H = .375 batting average. (3.75/5) Batter up.:up:

They play baseball in Japan and after reading and watching the sports reports here, I have to confess that it makes absolutely no sense at all to me- they splatter me with statistics but I have no idea what any of it means. Baseball is probably a serious candidate for the most impenetrable sport of all. It didn't take long to work sumo out, but I have no idea what seventh innings with the bases loaded, etc, means. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We feel the same way about cricket. Or we would, if we tried to pay attention.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They play baseball in Japan and after reading and watching the sports reports here, I have to confess that it makes absolutely no sense at all to me- they splatter me with statistics but I have no idea what any of it means. Baseball is probably a serious candidate for the most impenetrable sport of all. It didn't take long to work sumo out, but I have no idea what seventh innings with the bases loaded, etc, means. ;-)

Baseball is the undisputed leader in the generation of statistics. It gets ridiculous. "He is batting .275 overall, but he's .350 against left-handed pitchers with a runner on base while playing on an artificial surface when his team is behind by 2 or more runs."

The game itself has a simple premise: hit the ball in order to go home.

I vote for cricket as impenetrable. It goes on for days and includes breaks for tea.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I vote for cricket as impenetrable. It goes on for days and includes breaks for tea.
It seems to be pretty much like a family reunion then. Nothing impenetrable about that.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

:up: :-D

Come to think of it, it is penetrable. You just need proper motivation. Mine had a man's name. ;)

The worst it can get is five days, so called Test cricket. But there are forms which only take about 4 hours. Woohoo!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Baseball is the undisputed leader in the generation of statistics. It gets ridiculous. "He is batting .275 overall, but he's .350 against left-handed pitchers with a runner on base while playing on an artificial surface when his team is behind by 2 or more runs."

The game itself has a simple premise: hit the ball in order to go home.

To be fair, I did only say that baseball was a serious candidate and not the only one- maybe it would tie with cricket, which I understand little of despite being forced to play it at school. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.