Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whilst it can be very helpful for English learners to watch TV in English in order to help their comprehension, it's important to remember that TV shows and movies are not always grammatically correct.

So far today, I've heard:

You're going to have to choose between one of them.
There's many reasons why I don't like pasta.
What are you going to do about them friends of yours?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
You're going to have to choose between one of them. --> :loling:
There's many reasons why I don't like pasta.

Isn't it so that you might hear there's many reasons in colloquial English but not so much there is many reasons...?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Isn't it so that you might hear there's many reasons in colloquial English but not so much there is many reasons...?

The problem is that it should be "There are many reasons..."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes. I think most natives would not say "there is..." with a plural object, but "there's" rolls off the tongue so easily in casual conversation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's two/many, etc is common enough in colloquial speech in the UK too, but it would be marked wrong in exams.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Everyone makes errors but you can regard spoken English as seen on TV as a valid grammar for today's speech. What old farts say about what is "incorrect" based on fifty year old textbooks just demonstrates they don't know what 'grammar' means.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Everyone makes errors but you can regard spoken English as seen on TV as a valid grammar for today's speech. What old farts say about what is "incorrect" based on fifty year old textbooks just demonstrates they don't know what 'grammar' means.

Are you saying here, konungursvia, that the examples quoted by emsr2d2 can be accepted by students as grammatical?

Rover

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Whilst it can be very helpful for English learners to watch TV in English in order to help their comprehension, it's important to remember that TV shows and movies are not always grammatically correct.

NOT A TEACHER.

I don't think that's news to the students who frequent this site. But I do think that, for most of them, learning conversational English is more important than striving for grammatical perfection, which is out of reach even for native speakers.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are you saying here, konungursvia, that the examples quoted by emsr2d2 can be accepted by students as grammatical?

Rover

Not exactly; the first is a poor example, and merely illogical, but the second and third may reflect typical speech. Should we define grammar in a way that prohibits typical speech?

My point is that TV is a reliable medium for learning language, despite the fact that it reveals spoken grammar is evolving much faster than grammar class-- and perhaps even because of the fact.

With three carefully chosen examples anyone can make a point, but I believe his point is a false one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I said, I think watching English TV and films is fantastic for comprehension and for picking up colloquialisms. As long as someone is also learning English "properly" so that they can recognise the difference, then great!

sarah GREEK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think learning English from TV is a fantanstic way!you can enjoy the TV as well as do the listening!But you should also pay some attention in the grammer!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But you should also pay some attention in the grammar!

. . . and be aware that a lot of spoken dialogue will be ungrammatical.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Or that the grammar of spoken English is very different from that of written English. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.