• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

sandstone fort sheltering palaces?

I've usually seen in participial construction "with object+~ing" in the latter clause, or "S+~ing" in the former clause, but I guess this underlined is a switched form for "S+~ing, S+V" to "S+V, S+~ing".
    So does it mean "and its 30-foot-walls and medieval sandstone fort shelters..."? Is this a rare case or common?

ex)Known as the Golden City, Jaisalmer, a former caravan center on the route to the Khyber Pass, rises from a sea of sand, its 30-foot-walls and medieval sandstone fort sheltering palaces that soar into the sapphire sky....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: sandstone fort sheltering palaces?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I've usually seen in participial construction "with object+~ing" in the latter clause, or "S+~ing" in the former clause, but I guess this underlined is a switched form for "S+~ing, S+V" to "S+V, S+~ing".
    So does it mean "and its 30-foot-walls and medieval sandstone fort shelters..."? Is this a rare case or common?

ex)Known as the Golden City, Jaisalmer, a former caravan center on the route to the Khyber Pass, rises from a sea of sand, its 30-foot-walls and medieval sandstone fort sheltering palaces that soar into the sapphire sky....
    It's common.
    It means "... its fort sheltering palaces that soar ..." = "... its fort which shelters palaces that soar."

"Sammy, a Siamese cat, rushes into the fight, his extended claws protecting his face, which snarls aggressively."
    "Mr Smith, the teacher, watches his class, his strict gaze passing over each of his students, who try hard to avoid it."

While Mr Smith is watching his class, his strict gaze is passing over his students.
    While Sammy is fighting, his claws are protecting his face.
    While Jaisalmer rises from the sand, its sandstone fort is sheltering palaces.
    Last edited by Raymott; 28-May-2011 at 07:46.