• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

might / may

The key prosecution witness of the 2008 Pakistani militant raid on Mumbai said on Thursday he may have been wrong to divulge the plot to his friend.

Is using 'might' will be wrong because sentence is in past tense?

Also in the following sentence -
    Mumbai attacks co-accused David Coleman Headley told a Chicago court that he is no longer proud of the 26/11 carnage he laid the groundwork for.

I think it should be 'he was'

please explain, thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: might / may

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post
    The key prosecution witness of the 2008 Pakistani militant raid on Mumbai said on Thursday he may have been wrong to divulge the plot to his friend.

Is using 'might' will be wrong because sentence is in past tense?

Also in the following sentence -
    Mumbai attacks co-accused David Coleman Headley told a Chicago court that he is no longer proud of the 26/11 carnage he laid the groundwork for.

I think it should be 'he was'
    When the situation reported is still true at the time of reporting, backshifting is correct, but not essential.

Said on Friday: " I am in Prague for a couple of days. I may fly to Berlin on Sunday".

Reported on Saturday: John said that he is (or was) in Prague for a couple of days. He may (or might) fly to Berlin on Sunday ( or tomorrow).

Reported the following Friday: John said that he was in Prague for a couple of days. He might fly to Berlin that Sunday.