Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have some questions regarding the use of present tense and past tense in an essay which talks about a past event.

I saw a disabled beggar when i was walking to my working place.I am a lucky person compared to the beggar as i have a good family and i have been working in a company for five years.I gave a sigh before i passed by the poor beggar.

Is it grammatically correct to use present tense for the second sentence?I saw the beggar maybe two or three days ago but i am confused whether i should use present tense or past tense when i describe my condition at the time i saw the beggar(have a family and working in a company).

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
I saw a disabled beggar as I was walking to my place of work.
I am a lucky person compared to the beggar, as I have a good family and have been working for a company for five years. I sighed as I passed by the poor beggar.

I, capital I, always. :)

not a teacher

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have some questions regarding the use of present tense and past tense in an essay which talks about a past event.

I saw a disabled beggar when i was walking to my working place.I am a lucky person compared to the beggar as i have a good family and i have been working in a company for five years.I gave a sigh before i passed by the poor beggar.

Is it grammatically correct to use present tense for the second sentence?I saw the beggar maybe two or three days ago but i am confused whether i should use present tense or past tense when i describe my condition at the time i saw the beggar(have a family and working in a company).
You also need to leave a space after a period or question mark.
Your English is good. It's a pity to spoil it simply due to a lack of care with spacing. English native readers will often notice poor presentation before they realise that your English is actually quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.