how do you make the ks sound as in Box properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hey there! When I listen to native speaker, they don't utter the /k/ sound when saying the word 'BOX'. Do they cut the airflow and then make the s sound without releasing the /K/ sound?
I was told to move my back of the tongue to the soft palate, and then make the s sound without moving my tongue. How do you know if you make the /g/ sound instead of /k/ sound? As you know, both two sounds are in the same position.
Well, for example the word 'back's' and 'bags'. If I told not to release the /g/ or /k/ sound after sayin the BA sound, how do I distinguish if I make the /g/ or /k/ sound?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For me, the /k/ sound is pronounced with the tongue further back.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
For me, the /k/ sound is pronounced with the tongue further back.

Yes, so how do you make the /ks/ sound as in Locks?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
First, two questions. Please read them carefully and try to answer.

1. Can you distinguish between /k/ and /g/ when you hear them?

2. Can you pronounce both /k/ and /g/?

Now,
Hey there! When I listen to native speaker, they don't utter the /k/ sound when saying the word 'BOX'.
It is strange that you don't hear the /k/. The sound is pronounced.

Do they cut the airflow and then make the s sound without releasing the /K/ sound?
I don't think I have ever heard anyone pronounce /ks/ the way you are describing. /k/ is pronounced.

I was told to move my back of the tongue to the soft palate, and then make the s sound without moving my tongue.

What you were told is incorrect. You have to move your tongue a little bit to pronounce /s/ right after /k/. These sounds are not articulated in the same place.

If I told not to release the /g/ or /k/ sound after sayin the BA sound, how do I distinguish if I make the /g/ or /k/ sound?
I do not understand this question. Please answer my questions first.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Also, words that end with /g/ take /z/ in the plural form (backs /bæks/, bags /bægz/).

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
First, two questions. Please read them carefully and try to answer.

1. Can you distinguish between /k/ and /g/ when you hear them?

Yes. At least I know if native speaker make the /k/ or /g/ sound.

2. Can you pronounce both /k/ and /g/?

Yes, I suppose

Now,

It is strange that you don't hear the /k/. The sound is pronounced.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone pronounce /ks/ the way you are describing. /k/ is pronounced.

What you were told is incorrect. You have to move your tongue a little bit to pronounce /s/ right after /k/. These sounds are not articulated in the same place.

I do not understand this question. Please answer my questions first.

Well, I think they probably made the /k/ sound fast before the /s/ sound. How do you explain the /ts/ sound? Please watch this video. How to Make the TS Sound | Rachel's English
In short, what she said is to make the /ts/ sound, put your tongue on the gum ridge to make the stop /t/ sound, then make the /s/ sound.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Also, words that end with /g/ take /z/ in the plural form (backs /bæks/, bags /bægz/).

Well, you're telling me well!
what i asked is how you distinguish the /g/ and /k/ sounds when it's in the middle of the words like gs,ks,ts. By the way, I think I'm wrong. Probably I'm supposed to make the k sound fast.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't at the moment think of any words in English with a /gs/ sound in the middle. In compounds such as egg-spoon, there is a very short pause between the /g/ and the /s/. It is different from the /gz/ in 'examine' and the /ks/ in 'excel'

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I can't at the moment think of any words in English with a /gs/ sound in the middle. In compounds such as egg-spoon, there is a very short pause between the /g/ and the /s/. It is different from the /gz/ in 'examine' and the /ks/ in 'excel'

So, can you tell me the difference? Do you make the two k sounds when you pronounce the word /excuses/?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So, can you tell me the difference?
What difference do you want to know? You said you can distinguish between /g/ and /k/ when you hear them and that you can pronounce both. What is it that you don't understand?

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What difference do you want to know? You said you can distinguish between /g/ and /k/ when you hear them and that you can pronounce both. What is it that you don't understand?

there is a very short pause between the /g/ and the /s/. It is different from the /gz/ in 'examine' and the /ks/ in 'excel'? Hey, chill out! I'm not quite sure about that. He said there's a very short pause between the /g/ and the /s/. But what's the difference between the /gz/ in 'examine' and the /ks/ in 'excel' compared to the former(egg-spoon) :)

gigilee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
\z\ and \k\ are the light-tone,just pronounce them lightly.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
DontBanMe, I've had enough too. I don't understand your questions and I am convinced you don't really care about the answers.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Fine. Right out of this thread.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

What? you want me to get out of this thread?
I just told her to relax as I thought she was somewhat annoyed.:)
Fine if you want me to stop posting.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
DontBanMe, I've had enough too. I don't understand your questions and I am convinced you don't really care about the answers.

Well, you don't understand my question because my sentences are not grammatically correct? If I didn't really care about the answers, I wouldn't have asked. You know it hurts when someone's being wronged. Why do people always think I'm a bad guy? Well, in that case, I'll never ever post any new thread here again. But I'll still help the people in this forum if possible! My uncle said never assume because ass you and me. Never mind if you really think I'm that sort because I already wrote in my profile that DO NOT JUDGE ME UNLESS YOU KNOW ME WELL. By the way, thank you for your answers. I do appreciate them. Well, I hope you will not wrong someone else ever again. That really hurts especially to the person who's over-sensitive just like me.:)
Well, lastly I want to say, Birdeen, I don't know why there are so many misunderstandings between you and me.
And I don't know how to fix it, how to make you believe me. But I must say, I'm not that kind of person and you're a good person as you're always helping people in this forum. I really hope you'll trust me (I guess that's impossible)!
Not only asking you guys, I also asked my Godmum about this. ( For your information, she's an American). Goodbye, my last thread! Sorry for posting comment that unrelated to this thread!

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Grammar errors don't help understanding, but this is not the problem. The problem is that I don't understand why you are asking those questions. When you ask what the difference is between "examine" and "excel" on the one hand and "egg-spoon" on the other, I am wondering why you would ask a question you know the answer to. The differences have been pointed out in this very thread. When you ask what the difference is again, without explaining anything, you shouldn't expect anything but irritation.

I'm certainly not saying you're bad. I'm saying you don't seem mindful of what other people say.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Grammar errors don't help understanding, but this is not the problem. The problem is that I don't understand why you are asking those questions. When you ask what the difference is between "examine" and "excel" on the one hand and "egg-spoon" on the other, I am wondering why you would ask a question you know the answer to. The differences have been pointed out in this very thread. When you ask what the difference is again, without explaining anything, you shouldn't expect anything but irritation.

I'm certainly not saying you're bad. I'm saying you don't seem mindful of what other people say.

Well, I swear I did read all the words you wrote. I just don't know how to answer the question in more appropriate way. I kept asking as I still weren't sure of the explanation.you don't seem mindful of what other people say? Maybe. that doesn't matter anymore. To reduce misunderstanding, I decided not to post any new thread anymore. (I just sent you a message. Go check it out) Thank you for helping me!:)
I think we should stop chatting here as it will arouse IRRITATION. I think I'll ask my Godmom if I happen to have any question about Phonetics. Thank you guys. Sorry for troubling guys. If you still hold the grudge, please pm me. I'm going to close this thread!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.