Post Correct English Usage

Is the sentence given below correct ?

I am giving CAT exam this year.

If you have some standard reference, please let me know.

Re: Correct English Usage

If you're supervising the CAT, then you're invigilating the CAT; e.g, I'm invigilating the CAT. If you're writing the CAT, then; e.g., I'm taking the CAT.

Are you looking for material on the CAT?

Post Re: Correct English Usage

Thanks Casiopea for the reply.

I know that the sentence "I am taking CAT examination this year." is correct when I am writing any examination but I want to know whether the senetnce "I am giving CAT examination this year." is correct or not when I am writing CAT examination.

What else can be used to convey the same meaning to anyone? Please replace the "giving" or "taking" word only. (I am asking you this question since somewhere I read that two words can be used for conveying the same meaning. One is taking examination, other one I forgot.

I am looking for some material where these types of things are given and not necessarily on CAT.

Awaiting for your soon reply.

To give X is to hand X over to someone else; e.g., I give blood every 6 months. I am giving the class a quiz today.

To take X is to receive X from someone else; e.g, I am taking the CAT exam.

Synonyms: I am writing the CAT exam; I am doing the CAT exam. I am sitting the CAT exam.

To give and to take are in opposition. They do not mean the same thing.

Please note: "the" CAT exam. It's a specific exam, so the determiner "the" is required.

Post Re: Correct English Usage

Thanks Casiopea for the reply.

I know that the sentence "I am taking CAT examination this year." is correct when I am writing any examination but I want to know whether the senetnce "I am giving CAT examination this year." is correct or not when I am writing CAT examination.

What else can be used to convey the same meaning to anyone? Please replace the "giving" or "taking" word only. (I am asking you this question since somewhere I read that two words can be used for conveying the same meaning. One is taking examination, other one I forgot.

I am looking for some material where these types of things are given and not necessarily on CAT.

Awaiting for your soon reply.

Nalin, that's the exact same post? Did you want to ask additional questions, or are you having trouble with my response? Let us know.

All the best,

Smile Re: Correct English Usage

Thanks again for the immediate reply.

Sorry for the same post but when I submitted it for the first time I got network error so I submitted it again thinking that it didn't get posted but it got posted already.

I agree with all the synonyms you wrote except writing because in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary its written to not to use writing in that sense. If you want to refer look under the exam entry in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

I also know that both have opposite meanings but the usage can transcend the literal meanings.

Anyway thanks the useful replies. If you come to know anything about this type of usage of "giving", please write it to me.

You're welcome, Nalin.

Will do. ;)