Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 53
    #1

    About usage of " You got me"

    Hello.

    I would like to know in which situation I should use " You got me".

    Would you give me some tips or examples for this?


    Does "You got me" have similar meaning to "you understand me?"


    What does "You got me" mean in this context?


    A: Any of your classmates giving you a hard time? You sleeping okay?

    B:That's not really what you want to talk about, is it?

    A: You got me.


    Thank you for taking the time !

    Have a great weekend ^_^

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 424
    #2

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
    The phrases You have me there and There you have me or (more commonly and informally) You've/You got me (there) are used in speech to mean I don't know.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 217
    #3

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    That's right, although in that example it simply means. Right, you understand me.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tramper View Post
    Hello.

    I would like to know in which situation I should use " You got me".

    Would you give me some tips or examples for this?


    Does "You got me" have similar meaning to "you understand me?"


    What does "You got me" mean in this context?


    A: Any of your classmates giving you a hard time? You sleeping okay?

    B:That's not really what you want to talk about, is it?

    A: You got me.


    Thank you for taking the time !

    Have a great weekend ^_^
    I disagree with both of the above, though the context would be useful.
    If A is a counsellor, and B is a student, A is trying to talk to B about some problem he's having, let's say drugs. He makes a meaningless opening statement, and the student is "on to him" straight away and "calls him on it".
    "You got me" here means, "You have detected my subterfuge"; "you've seen through my ploy"; "you've seen through me"; "you've caught me out."
    I suppose, "You understand me" is also right, but not in the usual meaning.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 53
    #5

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Thank you so much for leaving clear explanations. It really helps me out.

    I am not able to understand by your explanations. Thanks again!!

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tramper View Post
    Thank you so much for leaving clear explanations. It really helps me out.

    I am not able to understand by your explanations. Thanks again!!
    I guess "not" is a typo for "now"? I'll assume so.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 53
    #7

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I guess "not" is a typo for "now"? I'll assume so.


    You got me!
    < Is it okay if I say this in this situation as " You have detected my typo."



    P.s: "Now" ^_^ I made a type.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tramper View Post
    You got me!
    < Is it okay if I say this in this situation as " You have detected my typo."

    P.s: "Now" ^_^ I made a type.
    Yes, you can say that. The connotation is a little different though.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 53
    #9

    Re: About usage of " You got me"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, you can say that. The connotation is a little different though.


    Thank you so much! You are super!

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Regarding a verb "since" and adverb "until now" usage
    By Joe333 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2010, 10:23
  2. [General] Usage of "Ass" and "Arse"
    By Williamyh in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2010, 09:40
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2008, 23:38
  4. "apostrophe s" or "of" (possessive usage)
    By kk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2006, 02:20
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2005, 13:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •