Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Hello,

Would you please tell me what verb means "one deliberately disappears under water for a while"?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Would you please tell me what verb means "one deliberately disappears under water for a while"?

Thanks in advance.

My first reaction is "to dunk". You can dunk someone else in water, though I'm not sure that it would absolutely have to mean that they disappear entirely under the water. I don't think it's impossible to say "I dunked myself under the water for a moment to make my friends think I'd vanished/drowned!"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
dive

When asking for a verb, start the meaning with 'to', because that is how verbs are expressed. Eg. "Tell me a verb which means 'to deliberately disappear underwater for a while."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
dive

When asking for a verb, start the meaning with 'to', because that is how verbs are expressed. Eg. "Tell me a verb which means 'to deliberately disappear underwater for a while."

"Dive" works too but, to me, would specifically mean going headfirst into the water before disappearing under it for a short time.

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Dear Raymottand emsr2d2,

Thank you very much. You are teaching me much.:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Dive" works too but, to me, would specifically mean going headfirst into the water before disappearing under it for a short time.
Maybe. Is 'dunk' intransitive though? A submarine dives, but doesn't go headfirst.
I'm not sure why Jack thinks that there is a verb that conforms to such complex criteria.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe. Is 'dunk' intransitive though? A submarine dives, but doesn't go headfirst.
I'm not sure why Jack thinks that there is a verb that conforms to such complex criteria.

Good point about the submarine! ;-)

"Dunk" was the closest I could get but I would really only use it when someone dunks someone or something else under the water. Even my reflexive use didn't really work, now I think about it.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is not often I disagree with you, Raymott, but this is one of those occasions. The idea that 'to' is part of the verb, or of its definition, is, in my opinion, incorrect.

Tell me a verb which means 'deliberately disappear underwater for a while'.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

NOT A TEACHER

DEAR MR. ROSE:

May I respectfully suggest "to submerge," as in:

He submerged himself in the lake for 10 minutes.

James

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It is not often I disagree with you, Raymott, but this is one of those occasions. The idea that 'to' is part of the verb, or of its definition, is, in my opinion, incorrect.

Tell me a verb which means 'deliberately disappear underwater for a while'.
Yes, that's another option. My point really was that you can't say, "Tell me a verb that means 'someone deliberately goes under the water'." OR, "tell me a verb that means a person who has red hair". If you're asking for a verb, your description has to be of a verb. (You have changed the sentence from the original in a satisfactory way).
'To' or not 'to' isn't really the problem; though I would still use it in such a question. When I went to school, "to dive" was a verb, and you'll note that TheParser also uses "to submerge" as a verb. But you can see that that wasn't my point.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, that's another option. My point really was that you can't say, "Tell me a verb that means 'someone deliberately goes under the water'." OR, "tell me a verb that means a person who has red hair". If you're asking for a verb, your description has to be of a verb. (You have changed the sentence from the original in a satisfactory way).
'To' or not 'to' isn't really the problem; though I would still use it in such a question. When I went to school, "to dive" was a verb, and you'll note that TheParser also uses "to submerge" as a verb. But you can see that that wasn't my point.
Point taken. 'To dive' was the verb when I was at school, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.