Interested in Language
how many people speak english in the world today
NOT A TEACHER
DEAR FELLOW MEMBER EAGLEYE:
(1) You have asked a great question.
(2) On the Web, you can find out the number of speakers for all the
(3) I'm looking at a 2008 book of facts (an almanac), and it says that
both English and Mandarin (the official language in China) each have about
1,000,000,000 speakers. (There are about 7,000,000,000 human
(4) Of course, you need to remember that there are different
varieties of English. In other words, there are many Englishes.
(5) You know that American and British English have some
differences. But then people speak English in India, some
African countries, and some islands in the Carribean. In fact, there
is a country in Latin American called Belize, where English is the
official language. All these Englishes have differences
when it comes to grammar, vocabulary, accent, etc.
(6) I have also read that there is a special kind of English
(I forget its name) that has been developed so that business people
can know enough English to conduct international business!!! In other
words, some people do not wish to become fluent. They just
want to know enough English in order to make money.
(7) As you know, many years ago, people in Europe spoke Latin.
Then little by little, the people in different countries started to
speak Latin in their own special way. That is how we got Spanish,
French, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian. Some are asking:
Someday will the same thing happen to English? That is, someday
maybe an "English" speaker in country X will not understand an
"English" speaker in country Y.
THANK YOU so much for your interesting question.