Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
What does it mean when we refer to a person as 'downfall'? Could it ever be the same as jinxed?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Downfall" is not an adjective, nor is it a noun for a type of person. Definition of downfall

You can say that a person has "fallen down" of course, when they fall on the floor, or fall down the stairs.

You can say that someone is "downtrodden", meaning that someone else has treated them as an inferior, sometimes leading to the downtrodden person actually feeling inferior. A very domineering husband might have a downtrodden wife.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Downfall" is not an adjective, nor is it a noun for a type of person. Definition of downfall

You can say that a person has "fallen down" of course, when they fall on the floor, or fall down the stairs.

You can say that someone is "downtrodden", meaning that someone else has treated them as an inferior, sometimes leading to the downtrodden person actually feeling inferior. A very domineering husband might have a downtrodden wife.

Thank you so much. In English Vocabulary in Use, by McCarthy and O'Dell, Unit 13, 'Talking about yourself', there's a table titled "characteristics". The definition for downfall in the footnote is 'cause of destruction', and I wanted to make sure if it was used to describe a personality type.

Cheers!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Has anyone else worked on the 13th unit of this book? [Page 44]

Ta...

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I own the book. There is no comma after downfall; the word is part of the phrase which continues on the next line. The whole phrase reads downfall could be desire for material goods. It means 'your quest for material goods could be your downfall".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I own the book. There is no comma after downfall; the word is part of the phrase which continues on the next line. The whole phrase reads downfall could be desire for material goods. It means 'your quest for material goods could be your downfall".

Oh! What a silly mistake I've made! :oops:

So many thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.