Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Can the word 'loyal' be equally used for married couples too? Any difference in meaning, please?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel they're different in that context. Bill Clinton was a loyal husband, as he'd never leave Hillary. But no-one could call him faithful! The word 'faithful' has a special meaning where sex is involved.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I feel they're different in that context. Bill Clinton was a loyal husband, as he'd never leave Hillary. But no-one could call him faithful! The word 'faithful' has a special meaning where sex is involved
And Hillary was a very loyal wife. We don't know whether she was faithful.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I don't see how one can be loyal to one's partner and yet cheat on him/her. To me, that's not being loyal at all.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can't you stand by them in other ways? Infidelity is one sort of betrayal, but that doesn't necessarily exclude other loyalties.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't see how one can be loyal to one's partner and yet cheat on him/her. To me, that's not being loyal at all.

The point is that some people might choose to use the word 'loyal' as meaning something different from 'faithful' in this context. You might not be one of those people. But using language (any natural language) involves coming to terms with the possibility that different people use different words differently. ;-)

b

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
The point is that some people might choose to use the word 'loyal' as meaning something different from 'faithful' in this context. You might not be one of those people. But using language (any natural language) involves coming to terms with the possibility that different people use different words differently. ;-)

b

I can live with that, but how do you know Bill's been a loyal husband? You're obviously not talking about sexual loyalty, so in what other ways has he been loyal to her?

As far as I know, they're still married, which makes me wonder why you wrote "was" instead of "has been."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We're no longer discussing language. Excuse me, I'm leaving you all to it. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.