Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 55
    #1

    Like or such as

    What is the difference between "like" or "such as"?
    Can I have some examples!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by lady_bird13; 30-May-2011 at 11:31.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by lady_bird13 View Post
    What is the difference between "like" or "such as"?
    It would be better if you produced some sentences containing these expressions. We can then comment on them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 55
    #3

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It would be better if you produced some sentences containing these expressions. We can then comment on them.

    I teach many subjects such as: history and geography.

    We practise sports like football or volleball.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by lady_bird13 View Post
    What is the difference between "like" or "such as"?
    Can I have some examples!
    Thank you!
    Here's a good explanation: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...s-such-as.aspx.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 55
    #5

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen165 View Post

    Thank you, but I would like to have other expliations, because they say they are similar...

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by lady_bird13 View Post
    Thank you, but I would like to have other explanations, because they say they are similar...
    That is because they are similar in some cases. Once again:

    It would be better if you produced some sentences containing these expressions. We can then comment on them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 55
    #7

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    That is because they are similar in some cases. Once again:

    It would be better if you produced some sentences containing these expressions. We can then comment on them.

    Here you are!

    I teach many subjects such as: history and geography.

    We practise sports like football or volleball.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,916
    #8

    Re: Like or such as

    No difference in meaning to me, though I would not use a colon in the first.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 424
    #9

    Re: Like or such as

    "Such as" or "Like"
    as, like, such as
    For example, such as, like
    I have traveled to many countries <like, such as> India and Thailand.
    Is it right not to use a comma before such as and like?
    Like / such as
    like or such as
    like, or such as
    Like/such as
    such as and like
    Such as myself - like me
    such as or like
    such as or like
    such as or like this
    such as vs. like
    such as, like,as (how)?
    such as/like comma
    such as/like how flying birds
    Such as/like you
    Use of "like" and "such as"


    like
    — used to introduce an example or series of examples
    ▪ They studied subjects like [=such as] physics (and chemistry).

    such as
    1 — used to introduce an example or series of examples
    ▪ You will need some form of identification, such as [=like] a driver's license.
    ▪ “I have my reasons for not wanting to go.” “Such as?” [=give me an example]
    2 : of the specified kind
    ▪ In cases such as [=like] this (one), it's best to be cautious.
    ▪ Questions such as the one you've asked are difficult to answer.


    Do you say "Like?" to mean Such as??

    Last edited by sunsunmoon; 30-May-2011 at 14:41.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #10

    Re: Like or such as

    Quote Originally Posted by lady_bird13 View Post
    What is the difference between "like" or "such as"?
    Can I have some examples!
    Thank you!

    NOT A TEACHER


    DEAR FELLOW MEMBER LADY BIRD:


    (1) All the other posters have given you and me very helpful advice.

    (2) I have checked some books and learned the following:

    (a) One expert says that either is correct:

    Veronica prefers cool colors, like/such as blue, violet, or

    aqua. [Kindly note the comma after "colors."] *** This expert says that

    "such as" is more formal. She adds: "It's a matter of taste."

    -- The expert is Ms. Patricia T. O'Conner in her Woe Is I.

    (b) One expert shows us that sometimes we cannot use "like":

    In such areas as North Wales or the Lake District, there are now

    too many walkers and climbers. [I think -- think!!! --- that one could

    also say: In areas such as/like North Wales ....]

    -- The expert is our beloved mentor Mr. Michael Swan in his Practical

    English Usage.

    (c) One expert says:

    Some conservative [strict] editors insist that you avoid using

    like to mean "such as." That is, those "conservative" editors want you to

    say: Words such as "license" and "licorice" have two Standard spellings.

    In other words, never use "like" if you mean "such as."

    -- The expert is The Columbia Guide to Standard American English.

    (d) Two experts say something very interesting. They say that

    "such as" is "preferable" if the examples are only loosely connected

    to the preceding noun:

    A number of big processors, such as Campbell and Heinz, still make

    their own cans.

    (i) I guess that you can say that the examples are loosely connected to

    "processors" because if you erased the words "such as Campbell and

    Heinz," the sentence would still make sense. These experts would not

    recommend "like" in such a sentence. I guess they WOULD accept "like"

    if the examples are absolutely necessary. For example, in the

    sentence "Words such as 'license' and 'licorice' have two spellings,"

    these experts would accept "like" (or "such as") because the examples

    are tightly connected to the noun "words." If I erased "such as

    'license' and 'licorice' ," then that sentence would lose the meaning that

    I am trying to express.

    -- The experts are Ms. Wilma Ebbitt and Mr. David Ebbitt in their

    Index to English.

    (3) To summarize:

    (a) Probably either word is correct.

    (b) Carefully study the examples so that you know when and where to

    put the comma (if one is needed).

    (c) I personally shall try to follow the Ebbitts' advice: use "such as"

    if the examples are loosely connected to the noun.

    (d) Regarding your examples, maybe (a big maybe!!!):


    I teach many subjects, such as history and geography. [I used

    "such as" because I felt that the examples are loosely connected.

    You just want people to know that you teach many subjects.

    In fact, I do not feel comfortable with either "like" or

    "such as." I prefer:

    I teach many subjects, including history and geography.]


    We practice many sports, like/such as football and volleyball.

    I guess that those "conversative" editors would insist on

    "such as." Most would accept either. Are the examples tightly

    or loosely connected to the word "sports"? Probably loosely.

    (Frankly, I also prefer "including" in this sentence, too.)

    Compare: Some sports like/such as football and ice hockey can get

    pretty violent. I would say that those examples are tightly connected

    to the word "sports."


    Respectfully yours,


    James

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •