Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Longman reads:
A pharmacist is someone who prepares and sells medicines. The place where a pharmacist works is a pharmacy. This can be a shop, part of a shop, or part of a hospital. [...]
In Britain chemists usually also sell other things, such as beauty and baby products. A shop like this in the United States is called a drugstore.

1. So drugstores sell medicines +, while pharmacies are restricted to medicines only. Does real-life usage overlap with the definition?
2. In BrE, is there a clear preference between chemist's and chemist (as a place)?
3. Which term would you typically hear in AusE to refer to a place where meds are sold?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Longman reads:

1. So drugstores sell medicines +, while pharmacies are restricted to medicines only. Does real-life usage overlap with the definition?
2. In BrE, is there a clear preference between chemist's and chemist (as a place)?
3. Which term would you typically hear in AusE to refer to a place where meds are sold?
I think "I'm going to the chemist" and "I'm going to the chemist's" are about equally used.

Status
Not open for further replies.