• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Parapharsing!

Hello,

I am interested in the grammar points in the following sentence:

"FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has confirmed that an email he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was 'bought' was genuine."

(Source: ‘I’m not quitting’: Sepp Blatter defies his critics over FIFA corruption scandal - daily.co.uk)

To my knowledge, this sentence is grammatically correct. But it seems to me that the sentence is not very understandable, at least for me. To be honest, I had to reread it several times before completely understanding it.

Would you please suggest some paraphrases of the above sentence, so that it can easily be understandable?

Sincerely yours,

Jack
    Last edited by Jack_Rose; 31-May-2011 at 16:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Re: Parapharsing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    It is a difficult sentence to read in that one is not at all sure of what was genuine.
    Thank you for your paraphrase, which is of course more understandable than the original.

As I understood, Jerome Valcke wanted to confirm that the email was genuine. This meant the fact he sent the email is true. Am I right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Rose View Post
    Hello,

"FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has confirmed that an email he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was 'bought' was genuine."

(Source: ‘I’m not quitting’: Sepp Blatter defies his critics over FIFA corruption scandal - daily.co.uk)

To my knowledge, this sentence is grammatically correct. But it seems to me that the sentence is not very understandable, at least for me. To be honest, I had to reread it several times before completely understanding it.

Would you please suggest some paraphrases of the above sentence, so that it can easily be understandable?

Sincerely yours,

Jack

You're right. It could take more than one reading to get the meaning. Even after having understood the sentence, it is still not known whether he is admitting it guiltily, and is sorry he wrote it, or whether he is confirming that this has been his opinion all along, and that he meant to express that opinion publicly. This ambiguity of Valcke's attitude, I think, contributes to the difficulty of getting the meaning. If Valcke's opinion was known, it would be easier to interpret.

"Last year, FIFA secretary general Valcke posted an email in which he suggested that the 2022 World Cup was 'bought'. He has now confirmed that this email was genuine."

1. He has now confirmed that, although the email was genuine, it did not and does not reflect his true opinion.
    OR
    2. He has confirmed that this email expressed his genuine opinion at the time, and that he has not deviated from his viewpoint.

Out of interest, is 1. or 2. right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Yes, it was a "real" e-mail, sent by him.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You're right. It could take more than one reading to get the meaning. Even after having understood the sentence, it is still not known whether he is admitting it guiltily, and is sorry he wrote it, or whether he is confirming that this has been his opinion all along, and that he meant to express that opinion publicly. This ambiguity of Valcke's attitude, I think, contributes to the difficulty of getting the meaning. If Valcke's opinion was known, it would be easier to interpret.

"Last year, FIFA secretary general Valcke posted an email in which he suggested that the 2022 World Cup was 'bought'. He has now confirmed that this email was genuine."

1. He has now confirmed that, although the email was genuine, it did not and does not reflect his true opinion.
    OR
    2. He has confirmed that this email expressed his genuine opinion at the time, and that he has not deviated from his viewpoint.

Out of interest, is 1. or 2. right?
    Thanks. It is easy to understand after you separated the sentence into two sentences.

For the two you proposed, I guess the first should be more appropriate. In the quoted whole paragraph below, he did insist....

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has confirmed that an email he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was 'bought' was genuine - but insisted he was referring to Qatar using their 'financial strength' to legitimately lobby for votes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Rose View Post
    Hello,

Sincerely yours,

Jack

NOT A TEACHER

DEAR MR. ROSE:

(1) I had to read the sentence two

or three times, and then I came up with only one interpretation.

(2) This is how I would have worded it:

FIFA Secretary-General Jerome Valcke has confirmed as genuine

an email that he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was "bought."

Respectfully yours,

James