• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

I'm not sure that anyone would ...

Hi

A teacher was preparing her pupils for a performance. There was supposed to be a fete. The pupils were making costumes for themselves. One girl was supoosed to appear as a queen.

The teacher told her:

I never thought, until now, that you should wear a ruff. Im not sure that anyone would, in the circumstances;but you must have a big upstanding ruff, and you must take it off rather slowly and that will be a kind of symbol of resignation.

--- Do you think that teacher is saying that nobody today would wear a ruff?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I'm not sure that anyone would ...

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

A teacher was preparing her pupils for a performance. There was supposed to be a fete. The pupils were making costumes for themselves. One girl was supposed to appear as a queen.

The teacher told her:

I never thought, until now, that you should wear a ruff. Im not sure that anyone would, in the circumstances;but you must have a big upstanding ruff, and you must take it off rather slowly and that will be a kind of symbol of resignation.

--- Do you think that teacher is saying that nobody today would wear a ruff?
    I think it is more likely that she is saying, "... in the (historical) situation which you are enacting".

It would have been clear if she had said, " I'm not sure anyone would have worn one in those circumstances".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I'm not sure that anyone would ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    The key word here is "circumstances". It seems that a ruff was not the proper item to wear for a party (I assume that is how you are using "fete").
    It could well be a fete: Fte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia