Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 20
    #1

    green pepper

    Which are correct and is there a rule?

    I like green pepper.
    I like green peppers.

    I like eggplant.
    I like eggplants.

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #2

    Re: green pepper

    I like green peppers.
    I like eggplant.

    Generally, we use the plural form. "Eggplant" is the plural form of eggplant. We may eat peppers, but we eat eggplant.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 20
    #3

    Re: green pepper

    Is there a rule?

    I always use -

    I like lettuce.

    I like mango.

    but in some cases I use -

    I like strawberries.

    I like bananas.

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,475
    #4

    Re: green pepper

    There's no rule.

    As a guideline only - if it's small, use the plural; if it's big and you don't eat it all at once, use the singular.

    'I like grapes, peas and new potatoes.'

    'I like pineapple, grapefruit and pumpkin.'

    (But that doesn't work every time.)

    Rover

  1. Route21's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 938
    #5

    Re: green pepper

    Like Rover, I wouldn't say: "I like grape, pea or new potato" - but I might, however, say: "I like mashed potato" rather than "mashed potatoes", which would, I believe, still meet Rover's guidelines (based on not eating it all at once).

    Grapefruit, however, is an interesting one:

    Although the dictionary gives both plurals, I would, personally, only have used the term "grapefruit" (again in line with Rover's guidelines), whether singular or plural:

    grapefruit - definition of grapefruit by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    grapefruit [ˈgreɪpˌfruːt]n pl -fruit, -fruits

    Regards
    R21

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: green pepper

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Generally, we use the plural form. "Eggplant" is the plural form of eggplant. We may eat peppers, but we eat eggplant.
    The plural of eggplant is eggplants. We treat some food items as uncountable nouns:

    I like lettuce, eggplant, (mashed) potato, (scrambled) egg, lamb, ...

    We treat the plants , animals, etc as countable nouns:

    I bought six lettuces, two eggplants, a dozen eggs and a kilo pf potatoes.
    I saw several lambs in the field over there.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #7

    Re: green pepper

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    The plural of eggplant is eggplants. We treat some food items as uncountable nouns:

    I like lettuce, eggplant, (mashed) potato, (scrambled) egg, lamb, ...

    We treat the plants , animals, etc as countable nouns:

    I bought six lettuces, two eggplants, a dozen eggs and a kilo pf potatoes.
    I saw several lambs in the field over there.
    I meant when talked about as a food.

    Another interesting thing I thought of: When discussing flavors, it is singular. So we may eat onions, but someone may ask if we like onion in our sauce.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #8

    Re: green pepper

    Quote Originally Posted by Route21 View Post
    Grapefruit, however, is an interesting one:

    Although the dictionary gives both plurals, I would, personally, only have used the term "grapefruit" (again in line with Rover's guidelines), whether singular or plural:

    grapefruit - definition of grapefruit by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    grapefruit [ˈgreɪpˌfruːt]n pl -fruit, -fruits

    Regards
    R21
    I did a poll on that a couple of years ago and was surprised by the result because I would use grapefruit for both the singular and the plural, but results are about equal:
    Poll: What is the plural of 'grapefruit'? - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: green pepper

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I did a poll on that a couple of years ago and was surprised by the result because I would use grapefruit for both the singular and the plural, but results are about equal:
    Poll: What is the plural of 'grapefruit'? - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com
    That surprised me. Like you and R21, I do not use 'grapefruits'. I do accept it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #10

    Re: green pepper

    If you compare it to the results of the poll on aircraft, the results are very different:
    Poll: What's the plural of 'aircraft'? - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Tabby Cat: Salt-n-Pepper, Ghost Striping and Ticking....
    By pinbong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2010, 11:05
  2. [General] pepper and salt
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-Aug-2010, 18:02
  3. red pepper oil
    By Bushwhacker in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2010, 13:25
  4. salt and pepper
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2008, 11:37

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •