[Vocabulary] Fishery industry or fisheries industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Dear all,

Would you please tell me if the bold noun phrase in the following sentence is actually "the fishery industry"?

"More important is the fisheries industry and the vital issue of freedom for trade through some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world - 80% of China's energy imports pass through these waters."

(Reference: BBC News - Why are South China Sea tensions rising?)

If "the fisheries industry" is correct, why is the plural form of a noun put in front of another noun?

As far as I have known, a countable noun functioning as an adjective is in its singular form.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

Jack

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
a countable noun functioning as an adjective is in its singular form

Not always- if the noun is normally plural, then it can remain in the plural (a sports hall), plurals are often used with words related to people (women judges), etc. I would use fisheries too.

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Not always- if the noun is normally plural, then it can remain in the plural (a sports hall), plurals are often used with words related to people (women judges), etc. I would use fisheries too.

Thank you very much for your comment. Would you tell me if "fisheries industry" and "fishery industry" mean the same or differently?

Your examples are interesting, at least to me. "women judges" seems better "woman judges". But why is "bus stops" but not "buses stops"? And the same question is for many other cases.

I am curious to know more about this. It seems there are not unified rules for compound nouns from nouns?

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
I found in a letter from my friend, an English-speaking one, that she wrote "a woman-doctor" and "two women-doctors". I have quite been confused. Please share your knowledge with me :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In Newfoundland, I believe, the lobster fishery is a very different business from the cod fishery, etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I found in a letter from my friend, an English-speaking one, that she wrote "a woman-doctor" and "two women-doctors". I have quite been confused. Please share your knowledge with me :)

Your friend is right to use the singular and the plural. I wouldn't use a hyphen there. This is an area where it's not always 1000% clear and different people may use different forms, but as a tendency, we often use men/women in plural compound nouns.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To me, 'two woman-doctors' sounds as if someone who doesn't know the word is talking about two gynaecologists.

Jack_Rose

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Finland
Your friend is right to use the singular and the plural. I wouldn't use a hyphen there.

Thanks. I see. It is different with a hyphen.

eddy143

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Why not fishery industries?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Why not fishery industries?

They are the same industry, serving the same clientele, but employ different fishery methods, e.g. lobster traps, drift nets, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.