Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I heard that like /inəmɒrəʊ/ from a film where t was dropped.
Is it common among English speakers or it is specific?
Should I say like that being non native speaker?

Thanks, Alex.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I cannot imagine any native speaker dropping that T unless he (or she) had food in his mouth or was trying to talk while brushing his teeth.

Pronounce the T in tomorrow.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In what context would someone say, "in tomorrow"?

Oh; we might say, "There is only one m in 'tomorrow'", but then we would pronounce 'tomorrow' quite carefully.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We'll cover that in tomorrow's seminar?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you cover for me, I'm not going to be in tomorrow?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks, Barb and Dave. I clearly was not being very creative today.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had the same first reaction, that it seemed an odd preposition to use with tomorrow.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
The actor said, 'I'll phone you in tomorrow'. Could I give you a little sound file so that you may be hear what he said? Some Englishmen drop h so why t can't be dropped?

Attachments

• In tommorow.MP3
    35.5 KB · Views: 16

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The actor said, 'I'll phone you in tomorrow'. Could I give you a little sound file so that you may be hear what he said?
Well, there certainly does not appear to be a /t/ there. In answer to your original question: it is most uncommon among English speakers.

Some Englishmen drop h so why t can't be dropped?
It's a different process. /h/ is , phonetically, a (usually) voiceless vowel, while /t/ is a plosive/stop .

When /h/ follows a consonant, it is often dropped in the move to the following vowel, even by 'educated' speakers in informal conversation, though many deny it. In what is considered by many to be uneducated speech, the /h/ is normally replaced by a glottal stop before the first vowel when it begins an utterance.

/t/ may be replaced, in some dialects by a glottal stop, but it is never dropped - by most speakers. I would have not added the word 'by most speakers' if I had not heard your clip.

Last edited:

doctor55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Well, there certainly does not appear to be a /t/ there. In answer to your original question: it is most uncommon among English speakers.

It's a different process. /h/ is , phonetically a (usually) voiceless vowel, while /t/ is a plosive/stp .

When /h/ follows a consonant, it is often dropped in the move to the following vowel, even by 'educated' speakers in informal conversation, though many deny it. In what is considered by many to be uneducated speech, the /h/ is normally replaced by a glottal stop before the first vowel when it begins an utterance.

/t/ may be replaced, in some dialects by a glottal stop, but it is never dropped - by most speakers. I would have not added the word 'by most speakers' if I had not heard your clip.

thank you for the explanation.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Thank you, 5jdjon for being thorough enough in your answer.
It was a pleasure for me to read it.

kimberly07

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Romania
To me, this audio sounds like "I'll phone you in the morrow". Could it be that?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To me, this audio sounds like "I'll phone you in the morrow". Could it be that?
It sounded a little like that to me at first, but I don't think it can be. 'On the morrow' is old-fashioned English for '(on) the next day' but 'in the morrow' is not used - as far as as I know.

After I listened several times, I began to think that it might be /nn/ rather that /nð/ or /n/.

We still have a problem, though. Normally we would say, "I'll phone in (i.e. to the office) tomorrow". "I'll phone you in tomorrow" sounds strange to me.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Although I'm sure I haven't heard this usage before it seems to be clearly "I'll phone you in the morrow", so I went looking for other examples.
They are few and far between in the blogosphere. A contemporary poem (And in the morrow when I open my eyes, will you still be here?), a reference to the royal wedding (Big Royal wedding day in the morrow), and a folk blues video (In the morrow / It'll all fall apart).

Others.
British National Corpus:
"In the morrow of great victory, will they show some equanimity...?" – Hansard 1991–92.
"In The Morrow of the War" – title of a post-WW1 pacifist pamphlet.
COCA:
"The only change that the passing of time brings him is a decrease, and eventually repudiation of faith in the morrow" – 1993 paper on Flaubert's "Sentimental Education".
"The day you stop believing in the morrow, you're going to throw yourself out of a window" – ABC documentary about long term prisoners.

If the mp3 is in fact dialogue from a film then perhaps the character is prone to use other similar or slightly archaic terms.

not a teacher

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To my ears, it sounded like that sound clip contained:

I'll phone you in the morrow.

Now, I know "morrow" means "the next day" but the problem I have is that I believe that it's normally "on the morrow", not "in". Also, the voice and the line itself didn't sound like they came from a piece from a period when such a phrase would have been used.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason when I posted my reply, none of the others before me were visible. Apologies for repetition. Strangely enough though, I'm watching a film and a character has just said "on the morrow".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.