Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I need you to help me.

1/ Which word or phrase (in brackets) here needs correcting? And please explain why.
(Until) recently, I (have trusted) Jim (with) the (most difficult) jobs of the company.

2/ The river is polluted ... aluminum.
In the gap, should I use "by" or "with". What's the difference between using polluted by and polluted with?

Thank you in advance :)

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,

1/ Which word or phrase (in brackets) here needs correcting? And please explain why.
(Until) recently, I (have trusted) Jim (with) the (most difficult) jobs of the company.

This sounds correct to me, although I would say "jobs in the company"

2/ The river is polluted ... aluminum.
In the gap, should I use "by" or "with". What's the difference between using polluted by and polluted with?

Thank you in advance :)

I would use "with". By would state who polluted the river - "The river was polluted by the chemical plants."

*** Not a teacher ***

hoang21anh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank Luschen for your help

1/ The first question still need an answer.

2/ Chemical plants is somehow sounds like an object, not "who" :-? Anyway, I still want to understand more clearly about the difference between using them.

eddy143

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
more hint on the second question.
Here, "by" will be the person who did it and "with" will be the object used by the person to pollute it.
e.g 1-The river was polluted by Aluminum.(Aluminum here is considered a name of somebody.
2-The river was polluted with aluminum.(aluminum here is considered as a material or chemical waste.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
more hint on the second question.
Here, "by" will be the person who did it and "with" will be the object used by the person to pollute it.
e.g 1-The river was polluted by Aluminum.(Aluminum here is considered a name of somebody.
2-The river was polluted with aluminum.(aluminum here is considered as a material or chemical waste.
Yes, but only because you've capitalised the name.
The meaning of "The river was polluted by aluminum" would be quite obvious to a native speaker, and it would mean the same as "with aluminium" - unless the speaker wanted to make a distinction between who did it and what they did it with.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone,

No doubt the answer is that "have trusted" should be "trusted". Because you've already stopped doing it, the action is not extending up to the present, and the simple past tense is appropriate.

Even so, "have trusted" is acceptable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.