• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

to involute

A fragment on the menstrual cycle:
    If implantation [of an egg] does not occur within approximately two weeks, the corpus luteum will involute, causing sharp drops in levels of both progesterone and estrogen.
    It's clear it will start disappearing in effect, but what synonym could I use here? The free dictionary says to involute means to curl inward or return to a former state. Other dictionaries I checked, focus on the adjectival form of the word.

So again, what other word (not a descriptive phrase like start disappearing or curl inward) would work here in place of 'involute'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: to involute

Quote Originally Posted by nyota View Post
    A fragment on the menstrual cycle:

It's clear it will start disappearing in effect, but what synonym could I use here? The free dictionary says to involute means to curl inward or return to a former state. Other dictionaries I checked, focus on the adjectival form of the word.

So again, what other word (not a descriptive phrase like start disappearing or curl inward) would work here in place of 'involute'?
    "Involute" is the correct verb. The uterus also involutes after the birth of a baby - it returns to its former size, or state. As far as I know there is no other single word for this - nor any need for one.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Involute" is the correct verb. The uterus also involutes after the birth of a baby - it returns to its former size, or state. As far as I know there is no other single word for this - nor any need for one.
    I was looking for something less formal or 'scientific', but it seems it's either that or a decription. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Raymott knows the term because of his medical experience. Most of us lesser mortal have never heard of it. I would just say "returns to its former size or state".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Raymott knows the term because of his medical experience. Most of us lesser mortal have never heard of it. I would just say "returns to its former size or state".
    I'd be even more informal and say "it goes back to normal".