Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

"In fact, he thinks there are certain benefits to having a nonnative speaker as a language teacher."

I'm not sure what this sentence means, especially, why we're using 'to having' instead of 'to have' or 'of having'? Would you please explain it for me?

Here the use of 'benefits to having a ...' is similar to the 'to' in the following sentence?

"My trip to the south was of much benefit to my health."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"In fact, he thinks there are certain benefits to having a non-native speaker as a language teacher."

I'm not sure what this sentence means, especially, why we're using 'to having' instead of 'to have' or 'of having'? Would you please explain it for me?
'To' is not part of a 'to'-infinitive in this sentence. Both 'in' and 'of' would be possible.

Here the use of 'benefits to having a ...' is similar to the 'to' in the following sentence?

"My trip to the south was of much benefit to my health."
Yes. The preposition is followed by a noun, pronoun or verbal noun (=gerund, 'ing'-form)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'To' is not part of a 'to'-infinitive in this sentence. Both 'in' and 'of' would be possible.
I'm not sure if you're calling "to" wrong here. I would.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Having" is a gerund.

A gerund is a part of speech which is part noun and part verb.

It's easy to see the verb part since 'having' is of form of the verb 'have."

The noun part is a little more difficult. It might be a easier to see
if we change the sentence a little,

"In fact, he thinks there are certain benefits to the having of a nonnative speaker as a language teacher."

This is still a grammatically correct, if a little strange, sentence.

Now you can see that 'having' follows the article 'the' so it must function as a noun.

So you may now see that 'having' meets the definition of a gerund

Gerunds can play several roles in a sentence, one of which is as the
object of a preposition, as it does here. It is the object of the preposition
'to.'

The meaning of the sentence should be much easier for you to understand.

The writer is probably going to continue by twriting about ways he/she thinks it is better (there are benefits) to have a non-native speaker as a
teacher.

The simple, if not very satisfying, answer to your last question is that the sentence you quote doesn't require a gerund.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not sure if you're calling "to" wrong here. I would.
It did not strike me as wrong when I read it. Now that you have mentioned it, I suppose it is.

If we speak of the benefits to somebody, they are the people who enjoy the benefits. Strangely, I find that a sentence such as "I find many benefits to having a car" not as obviously unacceptable as I would have expected.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It did not strike me as wrong when I read it. Now that you have mentioned it, I suppose it is.

If we speak of the benefits to somebody, they are the people who enjoy the benefits. Strangely, I find that a sentence such as "I find many benefits to having a car" not as obviously unacceptable as I would have expected.
I can see that there might be benefits to you in having a car. Perhaps "to" in your sentence just sounds unexceptional because so many people say it. I can't see the grammatical justification for the usage though - or the benefits to it [sic].

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I can see that there might be benefits to you in having a car. Perhaps "to" in your sentence just sounds unexceptional because so many people say it. I can't see the grammatical justification for the usage though - or the benefits to it [sic].
Raymott, do you consider

That's all there is to it.

incorrect too?

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Thers are many financial benifits to owning your own home." (Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary)

I guess this sentence can be interpreted as 'there are many financial benefits to you in owning your own home'?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

"The benefits of having a nonnative speaker as a language teacher are numerous."

Do you think the above sentence is acceptable?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The benefits of having a nonnative speaker as a language teacher are numerous."

Do you think the above sentence is acceptable?

Thank you.
Grammatically, yes. I'd question the fact. I'd also write "non-native".

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Grammatically, yes. I'd question the fact. I'd also write "non-native".
Thank you, Raymott. And yes, that's only an example sentence. Maybe I should have written ' I think that having a native speaker...' :)

I have another question.
"Thers are many financial benifits to owning your own home." (Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary)

Do you think this sentence can be interpreted as 'there are many financial benefits to you in owning your own home'?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, Raymott. And yes, that's only an example sentence. Maybe I should have written ' I think that having a native speaker...' :)

I have another question.

Do you think this sentence can be interpreted as 'there are many financial benefits to you in owning your own home'?

Thank you!
Yes. There's no problem in understanding what "benefit to" means. But I don't think you can imply "benefit to you of/in" in all such sentences. Naturally, there has to be a benefit of/in X to someone/something. If there is no beneficiary, there is no benefit.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes. There's no problem in understanding what "benefit to" means. But I don't think you can imply "benefit to you of/in" in all such sentences. Naturally, there has to be a benefit of/in X to someone/something. If there is no beneficiary, there is no benefit.
Thank you, Raymott.

Status
Not open for further replies.