Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
For decades, scientists wondered how the offspring of an alga and a fungus got together to form a new lichen, it seemed unlikely that they would just happen to encounter one another. It was finally discovered that in many cases the two partners have never been separated. Stalklike "buds" that form on certain lichens are broken off by the wind or by animals; these toll or are blown to a new location

I found two contradictory sentences. Why did the author write that "it is not likely they would just happen to encounter(meet) each other" and "they never been seperated"?. Then he wrote about stalklike buds that are broken off from lychens. Is the broken buds related to how an alga and a fungus got together?​

robinkipson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am here looking for experienced english teacher because i have to face problem while reading paragraph.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I found two contradictory sentences. Why did the author write that "it is not likely they would just happen to encounter(meet) each other" and "they never been seperated"?.
Originally scientists thought that the offspring of an alga and a fungus were separate and, however unlikely it might seem, happened to encounter each other. Later they discovered that this was not so; they had been together all the time.

Then he wrote about stalklike buds that are broken off from lychens. [STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Are the broken buds related to how an alga and a fungus got together?

The bud are part of the lichen, and can, I assume, grow into new, full lichen. If lichen are made up of algae and fungi (I don't know this, but that is the message I get from this passage) then the buds will also be made up of both.

san2612

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Stalklike "buds" that form on certain lichens are broken off by the wind or by
animals; these toll or are blown to a new location
That the buds are broken means an alga and a fungus never seperate?

The word "these" in line 24 refers to:
A partners
B buds
C lichens
D animals

I don't understand why the answer is B

Here is the whole text:
Lichens. probably the hardiest of all plants, live where virtually nothing else can---not
just on rugged mountain peaks but also on sunbaked desert rocks. They are usually the
first life to appear on a mountainside that has been scraped bare by an avalanche.
Line Unlike other members of the plant kingdom, lichens are actually a partnership between
5 two plants. The framework of a lichen is usually a network of minute hairlike fungus that
anchors the plant, The other component is an alga (similar to the green film of plant life
that grows on stagnant pools) that is distributed throughout the fungus. Being green plants,
algae are capable of photosynthesis--that is, using energy from the Sun to manufacture
their own food. The fungi arc believed to supply water, minerals, and physical support to
10 the partnership.
Lichens are famous for their ability to survive ~ water shortage. When water is scarce
(as is often the case on a mountain), lichens may become dormant and remain in that
condition for prolonged periods of time. Some lichens can even grow where there is no
rain at all, surviving on only occasional dew--the moisture that condenses on the surface
15 of the plants at night, And unlike most other plants, lichens are little affected by the strong
ultraviolet rays in the mountains.
Lichens use little energy, for they grow slowly. Some grow so slowly and are so old
that they are called "time stains." You may find lichens that are centuries old; certain of
these lichen colonies have been established for an estimated 2,000 years.
20 For decades, scientists wondered how the offspring of an alga and a fungus got together
to form a new lichen, it seemed unlikely that they would just happen lo encounter one
another. It was finally discovered that in many cases the two partners have never been
separated. Stalklike "buds" that form on certain lichens are broken off by the wind or by
animals; these toll or are blown to a new location
You can see what algea and fungi are. THanks for your explanation!

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
It's a typo.
these buds ROLL or are blown to a new location.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.