Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A man and a woman were eating dinner. The man stood up went to the sideboard and said:

This is one of Mrs Thatcher’s daintier dishes, cold
lobster soufflé, light as a feather.Do try a little. How very
disappointing! I ordered it especially – with, Imay tell you
– several other things on my mind.
’ He helped himself
and, sitting down again, gave proof that it is possible to
eat and talk at the same time with ease and grace.

What was disappointing? She didn't want to eat this or he figured out that there's something lacking?

If he says: I ordered it with several other things on my mind he means that when he was ordering it he was also thinking of something else?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"This is one of Mrs Thatcher’s daintier dishes, cold lobster souffl, light as a feather.Do try a little. How very disappointing! I ordered it especially – with, I may tell you– several other things on my mind."

What was disappointing? .....It appears that the dish was not cold lobster soufflé.

If he says: "I ordered it with several other things on my mind" he means that when he was ordering it he was also thinking of something else?
Yes

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

My opinion:

He felt disappointing that, among other choices he considered, he had especially ordered Mrs Thatcher’s cold lobster soufflé, but it didn't figure among the dishes on the side board.

M.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Not a teacher

My opinion:

He felt[STRIKE] disappointing [/STRIKE] disappointed that, among other choices he considered, he had especially ordered Mrs Thatcher’s cold lobster soufflé, but it didn't figure among the dishes on the side board.

M.
Henry

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Thanks Henry.

"He felt it disappointing..." excluding a "but"" further on would also do it?

M.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
How very disappointing! I ordered it especially – with, Imay tell you
– several other things on my mind.’

So it means, as Mannysteps suggested, that he could have ordered something else, some other dishes (other things on my mind), but he ordered cold lobster souffle and it wasn't there?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
How very disappointing! I ordered it especially – with, Imay tell you
– several other things on my mind.’

So it means, as Mannysteps suggested, that he could have ordered something else, some other dishes (other things on my mind), but he ordered cold lobster souffle and it wasn't there? The way I read it was that he had other things on his mind, not necessarily related to the food, while he was placing the order. It's somewhat ambiguous and Mannysteps' suggestion may very well be a better interpretation.

Thanks Henry.

"He felt it disappointing..." excluding a "but"" further on would also do it? Yes, but you needn't exclude the "but."

M.
H.
Having given this further thought, it seems to me that the "other things on his mind" were not menu-related. If these other things had been related to the food, I think he would have said that he had had other things "in mind."

Last edited:

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
"The way I read it was that he had other things on his mind, not necessarily related to the food, while he was placing the order. It's somewhat ambiguous and Mannysteps' suggestion may very well be a better interpretation."

Yes, maybe it's true, but then the word "especially" is strange to me here.

I ordered it thinking of something else. My mind was preoccupied with something else when I was placing the order, but so what?

As you said, I think it's ambiguous.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"The way I read it was that he had other things on his mind, not necessarily related to the food, while he was placing the order. It's somewhat ambiguous and Mannysteps' suggestion may very well be a better interpretation."

Yes, maybe it's true, but then the word "especially" is strange to me here.

I ordered it thinking of something else. My mind was preoccupied with something else when I was placing the order, but so what? So I became confused and perhaps I didn't order it after all.

As you said, I think it's ambiguous.
I've made an addendum to my last post. There might be a slight semantic difference bettween "on my mind" and "in mind."

Status
Not open for further replies.