Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi!

I have a question about the meaning of "Since".

Following sentence, Which is the right meaning of "Since"? - Time(till now) or Cause(Because)

:

"Since we all started high school, we don't have much chance to get together as often as we used to"

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi!

I have a question about the meaning of "Since".

Following sentence, Which is the right meaning of "Since"? - Time(till now) or Cause(Because)

"Since we all started high school, we don't have much chance to get together as often as we used to".
Either meaning is possible, though the time meaning is the most likely.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'd go for 'cause'. If the conjunction indicated a time relation, the verb in the main clause would be used in the present perfect:
"Since we all started high school, we haven't had much chance to get together as often as we used to"

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

I read the sentence before I read your question or the other replies, and the "time" meaning of since was the one that occurred to me. Starting high school occurs at a specific point in time, so for me the word since evoked the idea of "from that time forward."

Also, I understand the implication is that all parties concerned are still in high school, but wouldn't consider an event that occurs at a single point in time (and in the past, to boot) to necessarily be the cause for an ongoing situation. If the "causation" meaning of since is desired, I would recommend rephrasing the opening of the sentence "Since we all are attending high school, ... "

I also agree with Pokemon's suggestion. The beginning of the sentence seems to be mismatched with the main clause. Because of this, it is difficult to guess what meaning the speaker intended.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read it as meaning after that point in time. But it doesn't exclude the idea of "because our lives have changed in high school." I don't think it's either/or.

moon5633

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks All of you - fivejedjon, Pokemon, Drear Pooson, SoothingDave.

Your Replies really help me.

Best of Luck to all of You.

Status
Not open for further replies.