[Idiom] Does this idiomatic expression sound natural to a native ear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
*Warning: gross subject!*

For those of you who are native speakers of English, is this idiomatic expression correct English? Do you understand the meaning? Is it too descriptive? The text is about acne:

"The big, ugly red bumps simply shrank, as if a valve to the pus formation had been turned off!"

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Casp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I was actually describing something that is closer to a boil than a pimple. Is my suggestion grammatically wrong or can it be used? (it would be nice for me to know - I would prefer to stay as close to the original sentence as possible).

Casp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Yes, "gross" it the right word to use about this subject! Sorry to bring this up - it is obviously taken out of content but that still makes it gross.

Thanks again - I appreciate your help. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But if you turn off the taps, no more goes in, but there's no reason to think anything goes OUT. I would not assume something shrank or disspearred just because it doesn't get any bigger.

Casp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
But if you turn off the taps, no more goes in, but there's no reason to think anything goes OUT. I would not assume something shrank or disspearred just because it doesn't get any bigger.

Thanks for your help. That is actually a good point. Would this work instead?

"It was as if a valve to the pus formation had been turned off - soon after the big, ugly red bumps simply shrank and no new ones appeared."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"It was as if a valve to the pus formation had been turned off - soon after the big, ugly red bumps simply shrank and no new ones appeared."
The title of your thread is: Does this idiomatic expression sound natural to a native ear?

My answer is an emphatic no.

As Gillnetter said, this is rather gross.

I might not be surprised to find your sentence in a modern novel, but not elsewhere.

Casp

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
The title of your thread is: Does this idiomatic expression sound natural to a native ear?

My answer is an emphatic no.

As Gillnetter said, this is rather gross.

I might not be surprised to find your sentence in a modern novel, but not elsewhere.

Thanks for your opinion.

Yes, any text that describes anything related to pus is gross by definition - I feel that way too. I only use this idiomatic expression to describe a rather amazing outcome. I guess it doesn't work...

Sorry to gross you out - that wasn't my intention at all :-(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.