'Back into' = Separable [obligatory] ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

w.garabrant

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Germany
Hello,

These quizzes are great! :up:

I don't understand why 'back into' is considered 'separable [obligatory]'. It seems to me that it should be 'separable [optional]'. I can 'back my car into...' or I can simply 'back into...'

Clarification?

Thank you :)

edit: Just getting used to the website. I assumed this forum was a specifically linked to the quizzes. That's why I worded my post the way I did.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can't Back into your car, but I can see your point.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

These quizzes are great! :up:

I don't understand why 'back into' is considered 'separable [obligatory]'. It seems to me that it should be 'separable [optional]'. I can 'back my car into...' or I can simply 'back into...'

Clarification?

Thank you :)

edit: Just getting used to the website. I assumed this forum was a specifically linked to the quizzes. That's why I worded my post the way I did.
Did you read this page?
https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/phrasal-verb.html

"Separable verbs
With some separable verbs, the object must come between the verb and the particle:
The quality of their work sets them apart from their rivals.

In our phrasal verb dictionary, we classify these as Separable [obligatory] "

In you example, you can't say, "I back into my car the garage" or "I back into my car into the garage." Obligatory seperable refers to the object "my car". Naturally, if you don't have an object - the verb is intransitive - ("I back into the garage"), you don't have to separate the verb. In fact you can't.
</SPAN>

w.garabrant

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Germany
You can't Back into your car, but I can see your point.

Well, I could back into my car, if I were on foot, walking backwards (j/k, I see your point, thank you).

Now I realize that I was thinking, if a little fuzzily, more along the lines of what Raymott suggested. It could be either Separable/Obligatory or Instransitive.

I'll Back my hot rod into my driveway.
I'll Back into my driveway.

But that leaves two possible answers on the quiz, no?

@Raymott - I appreciate the link and the info, thank you. There's a lot to discover at this website and I know from experience in other forums how tiresome it can be for the old hats to keep pointing out the obvious to the newbies!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That would require a separate entry in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.