Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Andorra
Current Location
Aruba
Hi, i posted about this problem before but got no help!, so i decided to practice instead, the sounds i had trouble with were "ch" "sh", hard g, "J" and "H", ive gone better at saying them but i still need that help, what exactly is the tongue and lips doing when pronouncing these sounds?

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, i posted about this problem before but got no help!, so i decided to practice instead, the sounds i had trouble with were "ch" "sh", hard g, "J" and "H", ive gone better at saying them but i still need that help, what exactly is the tongue and lips doing when pronouncing these sounds?

Hey there. You know, Google is always your best friend.
So Do search for more video related to phonetics on Youtube.
By the way, I have some video links for you.
The CH and JJ Consonants | Rachel's English -CH as in church AND JJ as in George
The G and K Consonants | Rachel's English - G as in Goat and K as in kick
YouTube - ‪The "y" sound in English‬‏ - y sound as in year
The H Consonant | Rachel's English - h sound as in hit

Before I start explaining how I make those sounds, I suggest clicking these links.
Phonetics: The sounds of American English
Pronouncing English - Basic English, Lesson 7
Sounds of English

They might be helpful for you. Well, let's talk about each sounds you asked.
HERE WE GO!

CH sound- to make this sound, raise the front of the tongue to the gum ridge and glide the sounds /t/ as in 'time' and /sh/ as in 'Shoo' together.

Sh sound- I think you'll get a hang of it after watchin this video.YouTube - ‪"SH" Pronunciation English Meeting ESL Lesson‬‏
He's quite a good teacher on Youtube. I like his video as much as I love my Hammies and pooch. You know, the sound you make when you want someone to keep quiet.. sh sh sh.. like in the library. To make that sound, push out the lips, place the front of the tongue on the upper gum ridge( the hard bump just behind your upper front teeth) and make a voiceless 'shh' sound.

G sound- Well, to make this sound, raise the back of your tongue to touch the soft palate. Then, break contact quickly. Thus making a voiced G sound. ( I had problem making this sound. But I tried making the G sound in another way. I gently put my tip of the tongue behind the bottom teeth( so at the same time your back of the tongue would move up). then I put my finger to touch my back of the tongue so as to make sure if it's touching my soft palate. I can hardly explain what soft palate is. But I can tell you it's just at the middle in the deeper part of your mouth. I bet you'll be able to touch it if you move your finger deeper to the middle.)

J sound- Well, to make this sound, raise the middle of the tongue to the 'ee' position and force the breath out with voice. Well, you know, that sounds difficult. But when you make the long e sound as in eat and make it vibrate, your middle of the tongue is already at the high point as known as the roof of your mouth). When you make your long e sound vibrated, quickly go on to pronounce the next vowel sound in the word.. For example, the word 'yes' . After making the vibrating long e sound, making the /e/ as in egg right after the y sound. Well, I could be wrong. So, please correct me if I do any mistake.

H sound- this sound is like you're sighing. Well, open your mouth and sigh in a relaxed manner, without voice. I can hardly tell you how the lips or any parts of your mouth moving. But try learning this sound from the video I just shared.

Good luck, Bro!

Last edited:

cuzzy01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Andorra
Current Location
Aruba
Mate, your a life saver, THANK YOU :-D, with practice, this lisp will be soon gone, aha thank youu!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.