• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

family room?

When you say "family room", is it sometimes living room or any big room shared by the whole family? Can it be both or mainly living room?
    I hadn't heard of it until I found it in a paragraph recently.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: family room?

It depends on the context.

In a hotel it's a room with multiple beds, such as a combination of a double bed, twin beds and a sofa bed - enough for a family.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The living room is usually the nicer room, where you sit with guests. The family room was often allowed to remain in a greater state of disorder, toys are allowed to stay out, and you can watch tv. When I was growing up, I didn't spend much time in the living room. I couldn't play in there. Play was for the family room. You might also here the family room called a den, or a term from the 70s was "rumpus room."

Sorry for the lack of parallel structure. I'm typing on my phone and revisions are difficult. The above is not an example of smooth writing.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Agreeing with Barb. In AmE the "living room" of a house usually indicates a room that is used to entertain visitors. At all other times it is left unused (thus when visitors are expected, there is not a lot of "cleaning up" to be done - just a quick swiff around with a dust cloth). The "family room" is where the members of the house relax, watch TV, play video games, etc. It's the room with Dad's La-Z-Boy chair and kids' toys on the floor. My Mom used to fold laundry while watching TV, so our family room often had a laundry basket full of socks and such near her chair and my Dad had a stack of Popular Science magazines on the table by his chair that he wouldn't let Mom throw out ("There's something in there I'm saving!")

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Agreeing with Barb. In AmE the "living room" of a house usually indicates a room that is used to entertain visitors. At all other times it is left unused (thus when visitors are expected, there is not a lot of "cleaning up" to be done - just a quick swiff around with a dust cloth). The "family room" is where the members of the house relax, watch TV, play video games, etc. It's the room with Dad's La-Z-Boy chair and kids' toys on the floor. My Mom used to fold laundry while watching TV, so our family room often had a laundry basket full of socks and such near her chair and my Dad had a stack of Popular Science magazines on the table by his chair that he wouldn't let Mom throw out ("There's something in there I'm saving!")
    It seems like a room for the whole family's rest, but I've learned living room is the biggest space to watch TV or to play with or talk to your family most of the time in the house. I don't know why "living room" has been translated as "family room" so far in Korea.
    Do you happen to have both living room and family room only in rich families in America? Do poor people have only family room?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    It seems like a room for the whole family's rest, but I've learned living room is the biggest space to watch TV or to play with or talk to your family most of the time in the house. I don't know why "living room" has been translated as "family room" so far in Korea.
    Do you happen to have both living room and family room only in rich families in America? Do poor people have only family room?
    Yes, poor people only have a living room. The family room wasn't even a feature of homes in Aus when I was a child. When we saw 'dens' on American sitcoms in the 60s-70s, they seemed quite novel.

Smaller houses, terrace houses, apartments, etc won't have family rooms. The living room serves for both formal entertainment and informal relaxation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The stereotype of the cozy suburban home with a living room, family room and a bedroom for each child began in the 1950s, a very prosperous time for middle class Americans. Even when the economy hit desperate times in subsequent decades, Americans had become so accustomed to living in such dwellings that they would often take out loans and mortgages and buy houses that were beyond their means. They didn't want to let go of that "ideal" house they'd seen on TV (and that they were sure all their friends owned).

When my parents grew up, shortly after the Great Depression, such elaborate houses were not at all the norm. It wasn't unusual to have an extended family (meaning grandma and grandpa lived there, too) of 10 sharing a two or three bedroom house with one bathroom - and they considered themselves lucky because they had a house. There was no family room, and the small living room served as a bedroom at night for some of the younger children. Only very wealthy people had houses with extra rooms that were only used for visitors or "company." So when the children of the Depression grew older and were working in a prosperous economy, they took advantage of it and bought things they'd never had when they were kids, and a large-ish house with a family room separate from the living room and a dining room separate from the kitchen was one of those things. Certainly not every house in the US had that much space, but it was common enough among the middle class to become a stereotype.
    Last edited by Ouisch; 13-Jun-2011 at 18:41.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    When my parents grew up...
    Luxury! YouTube - ‪Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen‬‏

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, poor people only have a living room. The family room wasn't even a feature of homes in Aus when I was a child. When we saw 'dens' on American sitcoms in the 60s-70s, they seemed quite novel.

Smaller houses, terrace houses, apartments, etc won't have family rooms. The living room serves for both formal entertainment and informal relaxation.
    A lot of people convert part of a basement as a "family room." New homes are often sold with a "finished basement" for this role. I'm in the process now of trying to clean out my basement to provide a place to "hang out." That way when my daughter gets a little older she can have her friends over and I don't have to worry about where she is and what she's getting up to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I'm in the process now of trying to clean out my basement to provide a place to "hang out." That way when my daughter gets a little older she can have her friends over and I don't have to worry about where she is and what she's getting up to.
    The blue - fine.
    The red? Hope springs eternal...